Archinect
anchor

Interview with Allied Work's Brad Cloepfil on starting up the practice.

"Since I am a kid form lower-middle class background, I couldn’t do architecture as a hobby. I went back. I worked really hard to start the University of Oregon-Portland program because it didn’t exist. There was at the time no teaching opportunity in Portland. So I had to convince the University of Oregon to do this full time Portland program. So Cava and I did that so I could have a teaching job so I could leave Hack and start my own office. I had to sort of be entrepreneurial with the teaching. We literally had an advertising campaign at the University. We put up posters to find thirty students because that would fund itself. That funded Studio Architecture and later Allied Works." - Brad Cloepfil, Allied Works

Read the full interview.

In the Fall of 2013, I sat down with Gregg Pasquarelli (SHoP), Brad Cloepfil (Allied Works), Paul Lewis (Lewis.Tsurumaki.Lewis Architects), Dan Wood (Work.AC), and Stephen Cassell (Architecture Research Office). I wanted to understand and document how each of them formed their respective offices. I was after the nitty gritty details not typically published in the glossy magazines. I was looking for the hard times, the struggle, and the projects that were never published, but paid the bills. This interview is part two of a series of 5 posts that will go through each of these architects and discuss the these topics. 

Oct 29, 14 12:30 pm
Mr_Wiggin

I really enjoyed the interview, however I would advise you to proofread and edit things before you publish.  I know it can be tough, but it makes for a better end product, and a better experience for your readers...

Oct 29, 14 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

interesting interview...cool about the transition to the "studio" office, but totally shitty that all of those firms were fueled with a bunch of free labor.  

I am more interested in how somebody just starting out lands a substantial project (brewery), then a 30 million dollar project and approaches or is approached by companies like nike or weiden kennedy...family connections?  what is his in?  You don't just sit around in a 3 person office and have some huge client walk-through the door and ask you to do work like that...

Oct 29, 14 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Appreciate the effort, but I don't see much nuts and bolts... Another Architecture firm subsidized their business with teaching work. I wonder how many of their students racked up large students loans?  I wonder how many of their students were employed by them?  I wonder what kind of pay rate they give to their entry level employees?

I find it absurd to start a business with the intent of not making any money. Doesn't need to be the number one reason, but it needs to be up there.  

"then we got Wieden + Kennedy Headquarters and that was the end of the story."

How did they get it? Was there any competition? The next sentence is "That was when Dan Wieden came to you and what made Allied Works what it is today." Was it because of the PA award?  Good design sells itself?  Where are the nuts and bolts?

Oct 29, 14 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
toosaturated

@Mr_Wiggin It's an interview, who proofreads what people say? That's like unheard of

Oct 29, 14 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
global_architect

It sounds like Allied simply got a lucky break. There is not much to it. Being at the right place at the right time. Certainly choosing a location with less competition is always a favorable strategy.

I actually thought the interview with Pasquarelli of SHoP was far more illuminating. Getting a couple of years of experience in an office where you get to take part in actual construction projects is definitely invaluable. However, in the long run, architects are entrepreneurs. Few schools prepare you as an entrepreneur and hardly any architecture office trains you in the entrepreneurial side of the business.

Learn how to market yourself to client, learn how to write a slick proposal. Stop hanging around too many architects. Instead network with non-architects…entrepeneurs, start-ups, etc. Learn how to talk and sell yourself to prospective clients and if you are really up for it, start developing your own projects.

Oct 29, 14 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

@wurdan freo

I should have added a note that I had previously discovered prior to the interview that he had met Dan Wieden in New York years prior to that project. 

Network guys. Network often. 

Oct 29, 14 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
OM..

I've been looking forward to this one.

Oct 31, 14 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Yeah I agree with  chigurh. I would love to learn more about the nuts and bolts of that first brewery than the 30mill project. I'd also like to hear more about the failures. Lastly, I'd love to hear the same story from a landscape architect...I'm not holding my breath.

thanks anyway, it was an entertaining read.

Nov 1, 14 1:08 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

"and here we were just hanging out in portland and a 30 million dollar project just fell in our lap...meanwhile, my peers were in new york doing 1000sf apartment remodels"  

how?  who did they network with?  I'm sure they have some connection they are not mentioning...I don't understand why there is a hush hush attitude about talking about getting that kind of work...Like having connections is somehow less noble or something...

Nov 1, 14 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: