Archinect
anchor

"Case Study" type house - and I'm not an architect...

S Dillinger

Good evening,

I'm not an architect, so forgive the intrusion - but I would like input on the question of keeping a house original.  I have a mid-century modern house that was built by an architect who moved to my area from Los Angeles in the mid 1960s and built this house for his family.  I am the second owner.

The house has the typical flat roof, steel structure (hidden by wood clad columns), and TONS of glass (mostly in the back and side of the house).

I changed out the all white carpet, etc.

I turned the carport into a garage by adding a glass garage door because it seemed most in keeping with the style.

Here's my question - is painting the brick sacrilege?  I love brick, but this is very orange.  Very orange.  I don't want to be one of those owners who "ruins" a beautiful design and I thought some of you might have enough interest in the subject to offer an opinion.

Thanks for your time,

Steve

Oct 28, 14 10:28 pm
Non Sequitur

Careful about painting brick, you can affect it's durability if the paint you choose prevents the evaporation of moisture.

Oct 28, 14 10:34 pm  · 
 · 

It shouldn't be to hard to learn to enjoy the beautiful color, texture and low maintenance of red brick.

Oct 28, 14 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

beyond the technical, don't paint the brick.  in the style of the house that would be sacrilege.  it's aesthetic is  based on technical function and painting it can lead to functional problems as Non Sequitur notes here. sure you could have a less orange brick, but I doubt you want to switch out the brick.

Oct 28, 14 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Painting brick requires lots of prep, and is much harder than painting more flat and less porous surfaces. And you're basically doing something that adds possibility of regular maintenance to a maintenance-free finish surface. In case the orange just drives you nuts, and you plan to live the rest of your life in the house, I might VERY RELUCTANTLY suggest doing a wash in place of a paintjob - dilute your paint 50% with water (you should be using a flat/matte water-based product for this anyway) prior to application, optionally use a rag to soak some of the pigment up after a short time. You will block less pores, allowing moisture evaporation, and keep more of the visual texture of your surface. Whitewashing is the most common application, but nothing short of good taste should stop you from using a different color.

If you go down this rabbit hole, if possible do a test patch in a less visible, but well lit area. Paint can be removed from brick, but that process requires some serious acid application. You can still 'pull out' of the painting project if you don't like your sample patch without turning the whole house into a hazmat area.

Thanks for giving a shit - many an owner wouldn't think twice about the design intent while doing any of the changes you have made to the house.

ps. I like the color of the brick in your photos.

Oct 28, 14 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

keep the brick, if you want to change something get rid of that awful carpet on the stairs.    

Oct 28, 14 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

I add to the applause for your caring – respect that. While we’re not talking about Notre Dame du Haut you do seem proud of the fact that your house was designed by an architect and that it is a good example of Mid Century……some things need change for use and function – like how the garage doors turned out and are reversible – but other things are just “monkeying” and not reversible – don’t paint the brick.

Oct 29, 14 11:08 am  · 
 · 
S Dillinger

I knew about the case study houses before I bought this house and it is clear the architect was heavily influenced by those.  I met the guy who was bidding against me for the house and he had plans to make the L-shaped full length balconies a wraparound porch and put a chalet type roof on it...

That really helped hammer home the idea of design originality - not as some sort of museum because it is first and foremost my HOME - but it just seems like a really special house and I don't want to putz it up.

The house functions so well so I am just updating the things that need it and trying to keep the "spirit" of the design unchanged.

Thanks for the input, crew.  It really has helped.  No paint!

and to jla-x: amen!  Carpet is definitely on the go list!  Already gone from everywhere else but the stairs are going to be a huge undertaking, but I will get there!

Oct 29, 14 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

applause!

Oct 29, 14 8:55 pm  · 
 · 

Steve - i'd seriously consider lime washing it. it'd give it a crisp whiteness without the same level of maintenance a paint would. alvar aalto, another incredible architect, did this for his own home (#1):

and his studio:

and... his summer house

here's some info on how to do it. good luck with the project...

Oct 29, 14 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

no personal experience, but i belive brick can be stained

love the house btw

Oct 30, 14 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Kudos to you, S Dillinger!  Now, would you mind a quick DNA swabbing so we might clone you to produce future clients?  (Also, do you happen to know the architect's name?)

Seriously, it's wonderful to see a civilian show so much respect to a nice piece of architecture.  Good choice on the garage door.  And I totally dig that central-stringer open-riser stair.

Enjoy your modernism!

Oct 30, 14 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

I think brick walls of your house are beautiful. However, it is not uncommon for modern houses to have painted brick work. I have seen many painted brick walls in houses like yours in Los Angeles.

Oct 30, 14 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
S Dillinger

Thanks all!  

Citizen, the architect was Stapleton Long.  He moved here to be a mechanism designer for Berkline furniture.  He went to the University of Virginia, which is where he got the inspiration for all the serpentine brick walls in this house.  I love the stair, too - except that pulling the carpet off the treads is going to be near impossible.  I have never seen so many staples!  I think I may just replace the treads because these will require a ton of filler (from all the staples and nails) and I think an uber cool wood would better suit the house.

He worked in Los Angeles for around 15 years before moving East.

Gregory, that is a cool house!  The limewash looks great!

One problem with buying a house that an architect did for himself is trying to undo any part of it.  The daughter's room had a mod valance that wrapped around the entire room.  There were four million wall anchors in that thing - all perfectly placed, of course...

Oct 30, 14 6:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: