Archinect
anchor

digital based architecture schools

hys1989

Hey!

I'm currently working on the schools list I want to apply to. As I'm reviewing through different schools, I noticed there are some which are digital based and others which teach you traditional architectural and which depends highly on hand sketching. Actually I'm very interested in studying the digital based one.

Are there any good schools that would teach architecture with the use of different programs such as auto-cad, 3ds max, photoshop ..etc instead of highly deepening on traditional tools??

Oct 25, 14 9:00 pm
ARCHCareersGuide.com

Learning architecture is NOT about learning programs - AutoCad, etc; these are just tools.  Granted, some architecture programs emphasize the use of digital tools vs. hand.  If the approach is important, pick the school based on what you want.

Remember, higher education is not about learning computer softwares; it is about critical thinking.

Nov 23, 14 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Can we just go ahead and say what everyone's thinking? People who come on this forum asking for advice on how they want to study at a "digital" school/program are really just screaming out that they want to design rediculous projects with sexy images. Its probably a narcissistic thing really. Its about the equivalent of saying you're "an avant-garde designer". Backhanded, pseudo-subtle, self-complementations.

Nov 23, 14 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Hey hys1989 before your post becomes a shit storm for hand vs computer you should note both are simply tools. If you like hand you will use your and if you like computer you will use computer. You should really be asking about how you should spend the next 3 or 5 years of your life thinking about architecture. Does the school have design build? Is the school organized towards professional preparation or geared at making out the box thinkers.

Nov 23, 14 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
Driko
Sci arch
Nov 24, 14 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

“auto-cad, 3ds max, photoshop”

The replies to this are silly. He’s not asking for programs focused on scripting, parametrics, digital fabrication, or anything like that… he’s asking for schools that aren’t stuck in the past, forcing analogue techniques on the students.

And while I think the Doctor’s comment that “higher education is not about learning computer softwares; it is about critical thinking,” is something everyone should take to heart, I don’t think it addresses the intent of this question.

In answer to his question, most schools use these kinds of computer programs. Almost everyone I know used cad, rendering, and photo manipulation software in undergrad if they were there in the past 10 years. However, this may be to a lesser degree at the start.

Nov 25, 14 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

If you just learn the software and be just a modeler, then 2 year colleges like Diablo Valley, San Francisco City College here in the Bay Area as an example might be the ticket. Or similar Community colleges throughout.

Now if you want to also be an architect, then Columbia GSAAP with their digital lab would be the place if you can get in that is and afford it - one of my professors from NewSchool of Architecture and Design in San Diego came from GSAAP. NewSchool of Architecture and Design in San Diego is a good choice - not too terribly expensive and easy to get into - Also NJIT is good. Cal er Berkeley M.arch program is also another choice.

Most firms want people with Critical thinking, great design, Revit+Dynamo and Rhino+Grasshopper, 3DS Max, Vray, Autocad and Sketchup.

The real danger is getting stuck in modeling and not progressing to architect. Sometimes being just a modeler is a more rational career choice 

Nov 25, 14 3:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: