Archinect
anchor

Interview with SHoP's Pasquarelli on starting up the practice.

The office paid everyone and the partners always got paid last, if we ever got paid. Usually there was something left and we would say, “we could each take $5k or we could buy a 3D printer.” We would always go with the 3D Printer. You have to remember, in 2001 SOM didn’t have a 3D printer, but SHoP did. We were only twelve people. - Gregg Pasquarelli (SHoP)

Read the full interview.

In the Fall of 2013, I sat down with Gregg Pasquarelli (SHoP), Brad Cloepfil (Allied Works), Paul Lewis (Lewis.Tsurumaki.Lewis Architects), Dan Wood (Work.AC), and Stephen Cassell (Architecture Research Office). I wanted to understand and document how each of them formed their respective offices. I was after the nitty gritty details not typically published in the glossy magazines. I was looking for the hard times, the struggle, and the projects that were never published, but paid the bills. This interview is part of a series of 5 posts that will go through each of these architects and discuss the these topics. 

Oct 25, 14 12:11 pm
Bench

Fantastic James, I could only skim this one but will be reading it fully. Can't wait for the coming posts. Cheers!

Oct 25, 14 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Agree, thanks for doing this, my favorite guys. No time to read now but will find the time.

Oct 25, 14 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
OM..

excellent! looking forward to the rest

Oct 25, 14 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

nice, thanks for this. look forward to the future posts.

Oct 25, 14 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

love the quote posted here, it's good to know that is how they operate....

supports my preference to enhance my design and experience portfolio over my non-existing financial portfolio.

Oct 25, 14 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
jackie jormp jomp

great interview, thank you

Oct 26, 14 5:41 am  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

Easy to make it to home plate when you're born on third base. 2 NYC lofts, no salaries (try that with student loans) not to mention the connections that come with it. Not knocking em just saying part of the story is missing. Don't play rags to riches went it ain't true.

Oct 26, 14 10:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: