Archinect
anchor

3ds Max vs Rhino

blanket statements

Is it fair to generalize that 3ds Max is typically used for character modelling and animation modelling whereas Rhino is more appropriate for objects being built?

Oct 23, 14 3:58 am
flyingArchitecture

Rhino has a big potential in architecture modeling/rendering. In certain steps it's even faster, more intuitive, flexible and STABLE than 3ds Max. Plus, if you combine it with Grasshopper, you'll get amazing results.  Just because majority uses 3ds Max doesn't meant it's the best you can get. 

Most of our portfolio is made in Rhino, great for organic architecture, btw.

Oct 23, 14 7:49 am  · 
 · 
flyingArchitecture

http://flyingarchitecture.com/studio/portfolio

Oct 23, 14 7:50 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Personally I've been in the Rhino camp for a while. I love the accuracy it provides, as well as the possibilities opened by Grasshopper. With the weaverbird plugin you can start to get great meshing tools, the main advantage that 3DS has over Rhino. The amount of plugins for both RH + GH is significant.

On another note though, I've been really happy with the support that McNeel gives to students. I took the plunge and bought a full copy of Rhino as a student for $200 CND; that license is good forever. Its something that autodesk doesn't do.

Oct 23, 14 9:29 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You'll be wanting to buy a decent rendering engine for that shiny new Rhino.

Oct 23, 14 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
jairo vives

Its all about creating an efficient workflow for a particular project, I think.There are specific characteristics in Autodesk packages that are lacking on Rhinoceros and vise versa.  If you are proficient in both platforms then the possibilities immense. In my personal experience I have found the Maya-Rhino combo a great tool kit. Again you must create your own workflow.

Oct 23, 14 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
ecnal

Horses for courses, most firms I know (if they use rhino and max) use rhino to design/experiment/model, and max to render.

Oct 24, 14 1:24 am  · 
 · 
tomahawks_619

Firms do make architecture using max/maya .... believe it or not . Yes rhino is the preferred tool but you could make buildings with max/ maya. Obviously its a different style of architecture but you can use max or maya. 

http://download.autodesk.com/us/design_viz/zaha_video/zaha_620x398.html .

Zaha's office is a big pusher of maya

Nov 17, 14 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

^^^The main thing I take away from that video about Zaha's office is how unpleasant it would be to work there. They're packed in like galley slaves.

Nov 18, 14 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Architects design buildings using their imaginations. Choose a software that will support your ideas and allow you to get them built. Don't choose a software based on what OTHER Architects do with them, that will be a fruitless endeavor.

Nov 18, 14 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

/\"Architects design buildings using their imaginations. Choose a software that will support your ideas and allow you to get them built. Don't choose a software based on what OTHER Architects do with them, that will be a fruitless endeavor."

Nov 18, 14 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: