Archinect
anchor

How do architects name their buildings?

Non Sequitur

Miles, maybe he's a "professional" in the same sense as subway drones are "artists".

Oct 23, 14 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

He also practices dentistry and lite plastic surgery out of his garage...Associate MD Junior DDS

Oct 23, 14 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Miles (and others), I have to step in here. I have a lot of respect for you, but all you have is a Bachelor in Industrial Design. I realize that the RISD includes architecture and is accredited but good architects come from all form of backgrounds and education. Not just from you but from many this thing we do to each other about schools is destructive. I just can’t believe that the first 4-5 years of professional development is what speaks to qualification and accomplishment. It is what you are doing and what you have accomplished at the end that should be measured. I really didn’t even go to college because of Vietnam and while I admire your good work, its great work, but it doesn’t even hold a candle to mine. Is it school Miles, is it clubs & associations, is it a suffix that measures? Richards work doesn’t, as far as I know, hold a candle to yours but just because it doesn’t, doesn’t give you license to disparage. Is that what we are going to do? If one went 4 years that is better than 2, is that what puts you on top? Do we measure by awards? Do we measure by money? If so I win and I didn’t even go to college nor have a suffix after my name. 

Oct 23, 14 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Carrera, it's not about who is better. It's about ridiculing someone who takes a lengthy  authoritative stance on mundane subjects.

Oct 23, 14 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

Somebody needs to follow their own advice.

Here is a retired guy with a lengthy career telling an up an coming architect that his work doesn't hold a candle to your own?  Get outta here man, talk about lack of support for the next generation....perfect example of why I think most old architects are assholes.  Eat the young...they might do it better than you ever did.  

+1 to non sequitur  

Oct 23, 14 6:44 pm  · 
 · 

chigurh,

I did not make up the term building designer and it has been around since before you were ever born.

Oct 23, 14 7:18 pm  · 
 · 

I don't take Carrera's words as an insult and then Miles work is publically indicated. After all, Carrera's statement is based on what he is aware of my work. That's a fair statement from him. 

Oct 23, 14 7:33 pm  · 
 · 

...this thing we do to each other about schools is destructive. I just can’t believe that the first 4-5 years of professional development is what speaks to qualification and accomplishment.

Just repeating this.  

Oct 23, 14 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Non Sequitur, I don't think "ridiculing someone", to quote you, about anything, is the right thing to do.

Chigurh, just driving the point. If you don’t like measurement then don't measure someone, because no one measures-up not even old ass-holes like me.

Oct 23, 14 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Richard gives good advice guys. However at times he can be long-winded on certain subjects, but ridiculing him until he is completely discouraged from Archinect is rude and we would be losing a good opinion in some of the conversations we have.
Oct 23, 14 8:53 pm  · 
 · 

If you come here with something to prove you will most likely find that it was not what you thought it was.

Oct 23, 14 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

in your years of wisdom and what not carrera, have you found that when other people tell you "doesn’t even hold a candle to mine," they can typically back that up with good work?  or looking back would say most of those people were mostly just talk?

Oct 23, 14 10:21 pm  · 
 · 

curtkram,

Chill out. Carrera hasn't seen any work of mine. He doesn't have any basis to claim otherwise and that is a fair opinion. In addition, my clients in recent years haven't been the kind of clients that Miles has that would likely be perceived as his best works so comparing projects would be apples and oranges.

I generally perceive myself as a technical oriented designer whereas some people maybe more artistic oriented. This is perhaps grounded in the philosophical differences in approach to a project. 

As for Miles, I don't compare myself to Miles because we are just different. 

Oct 23, 14 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Big Dick Balkins is back and the The Association of Rainbow Ninjas are working on the third movie.  Steve Buscemi as Mr. Balkins.

Oct 23, 14 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

mr. balkins, i was just curious as to whether carrera had considered the perception of his/her statement from the same sort of perspective as (s)he may have experienced with similar statements from other people in the past.  that did not put me in the sort of excited state which i should chill out from, and it was not directed towards you or miles.  it's merely a question of perspective.

Oct 23, 14 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

curtkram, phenomenology?

Oct 23, 14 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Curtkram, please don’t focus on the holding candle thing; I was just driving home a point. I respect Miles, I almost hate to say so and I want him to succeed and would do anything to help him. But I also want Richard to succeed and am trying to help him privately. I’ve said my whole life that we architects are our own worst enemies. Its okay to play with each other on here, in fact some of the things you guys post are so funny that it is all that keeps me alive. I just called “foul” when it got personal. Again, it’s okay to fuck with each other but don’t hurt anybody. This thing we do is so hard that we should be going out of our way to help each other and I think that is all Richard is doing. Don’t hurt him, don’t hurt me – okay to fuck with us but be careful not to get personal. I always regret holding my candle up but if you fuck with me I will blind you with my candle.

Respect to all.

Oct 23, 14 11:16 pm  · 
 · 

Carrera, you just dug your hole a bit deeper. The only thing worse than an anonymous braggart is a public one. 

Richard, I hope you're getting something from this.

Oct 23, 14 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

we should make a BOT that is a realtor/developer we can mess with, what do you say Carerra?

like www.cleverbot.com

my conversation with cleverbot.com

I qoute:

me - What do you do for a living?

clever - I'm a student. What do you do for a living?

me - Architect.

clever - Oh, you are an architect.

me - Yes I am.

clever - No you're not. Now face it.

Oct 23, 14 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Everyone needs to hug and make up.  

Oct 24, 14 12:11 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

jla-x tell clevebot.com that....should get a great response.

Oct 24, 14 12:22 am  · 
 · 

curtkram,

Perhaps. I happen to catch that it wasn't intended in any demeaning way. A lesson I have learned over time is not to always  take everything in the worst possible light.

After getting a feel of some people's character, it is possible to understand where some people are coming from.

That is why I was saying to chill or calm down because it wasn't meant in a demeaning manner.

Having said that, I think it is fair matter of perspective. I think we got peace between us.

Miles,

I'm not sure at the moment what you mean about me getting something from this. I am sure there is some lesson out of any experience but it may take time for it to register they do in life. I suppose we can merely take a laugh and put the nasties behind us and move forward.... PEACE? 

I don't know where there is a gain to me for there to be a "who has a bigger phallic". You and Carrera both have respectable careers and lots of good work in your respective portfolios.

Oct 24, 14 12:43 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Damn you Olaf.... I just spent like an hour talking to that thing....

Oct 24, 14 1:05 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

sad but true, that we architects are our own worst enemies....egos and bullshit.  Are other professions as cutthroat?  Are there professions that try to help the younger generations become successful through mentorship, good pay, and decency?  Sure as shit not happening in architecture.  We are a profession of jaded assholes.  Successful people making money think they struggled, so others must struggle also...trickle down misery.   But I guess the reality is we are a dying profession and all this internal bullshit we deal with is just one of the stages we must go through before we just disappear forever...

Oct 24, 14 1:21 am  · 
 · 

Chigurh,

If that is how you feel about this profession then why are you staying in this profession?

Oct 24, 14 1:41 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Sorry about digging the hole deeper, but I didn’t dig the hole I just jumped into it and not being qualified to use a shovel, I’m climbing out. Apologies if I hit anyone with my shovel.

Oct 24, 14 7:42 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

http://www.globalwealthprotection.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/chief-wiggum.png

Oct 24, 14 8:57 am  · 
 · 

Richard, no worries. Hope you take my prodding constructively. Really, there is nohing to prove here and a lot to learn. Stop trying so hard. 

Oct 24, 14 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

jla-x, haha...i asked it 10 times in a row to explain the christian trilogy, it actually nearly did on the 8th try....we should make an archinect bot that responds based on thread posts...

Oct 24, 14 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
hys1989

they play a game in their heads.. and just come up with names which nobody knows about :)

Oct 25, 14 9:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: