Archinect
anchor

3 Q's about your job

Just a curious poll. Things are a little murky out there still and you are lucky to be employed and to be employed well.  I'm just wondering what' everyone's situation is.

How long did it take you to find it?

In what city?

How much professional experience did you have at the time?

Oct 17, 14 6:07 pm
Hathor
I graduated with my Masters in April 2014. It took 4 months to get a job offer. I had sent out about 6 portfolios/applications. I had 2 strong responses back, with another in the works when accepted the job I have. I have my Masters in Arch, a diploma in architectural technology, LEED AP, 8+ years in various forms of carpentry and building etc.

I got a job with a company that was my #1 choice. I love their projects and their ethics. It's not a big firm only about 9 people. It's not a lot of money, but I have never worked for the money. I do what I do because I love doing it.
Oct 17, 14 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

I received my Masters in May 2014 and it took me two months to get a job in NYC. I obviously chose the best offer and this is my first professional experience. I've interned for five years (different firms) during undergrad though.

Oct 21, 14 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

:)

It found me.  Until recently, I've never created a resume, never interviewed.  In '91 my Dad split (nasty split) from his former partners and founded his new firm.  Called me to come in and draft.  Never left.

Experience:  Graduated college in '91 the same year he split. 

Different times: I had worked for various engineers, architects and contractors for the previous 8 summers since I was 14.  They called and offered me work because in the old good 'ole boy days, you hired your clients kids as just part of how you landed new work.  Since his firm was one of the largest in town, job offers were regularly thrown my way.  Sort of funny too is the covert sexism... I was the son.  I do have two sisters, also in the architecture biz now; They weren't approached, then again, how that worked was rather sexist too.  My Dad would tell me (the boy) I needed a job to pay for my things; my sisters did not get that lecture.  He would chat around at work and would mention family and me needing to get a job to support myself... And they'd get my phone number and call offering a summer job.  Then pressure from my Dad to take said job... So I worked  summers, partied on weekends.  Funny looking back because my son is 17 and never held a job, nor have I pressured that hard.

Oct 23, 14 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa, that's a good story. I don't want to hijack Maureen's thread but can you tell why you have recently had experience with resumes and interviews? Just say no if you don't want to talk about it, of course.
Oct 24, 14 6:31 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect
Detroit Metro

Couple months

8+ years of experience

I always been employeed since graduation. Knock on wood.

a lot of firms hiring in Metro detroit surprisingly.
Oct 24, 14 7:11 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

It took me about 5 months to get hired on at my first firm.  Graduated in May 2014.  I had reasons to leave the region I graduated from, the Pacific Northwest isn't exactly conducive to newly minted M.Arch graduates finding employment (unless they have good connections of course) so I moved to Dallas.  That being said the hurdle of provincial hiring practices has to be cleared when you leave your Uni's sphere of influence, which is difficult, and prevents you from getting any face time with an employer (which is what you need when you're an outsider)  Anyway 40+ resumes submitted, did some networking, and got a call from a firm that was my top choice for small firms in the area.  Went to the interview, and basically hired on the spot.  Looking at the docket we have 40+ active projects of the type I have an interest in, and It's a great group of people.  Just rounding out my first month on the job, and I love it!

Oct 24, 14 11:38 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

@ Donna...

Long ugly story.  Basically my 20 year old marriage exploded in a quite dramatic and traumatic way starting about 6 years ago; I was betrayed.  End result is the company suffered without leadership, real direction, and no one marketing while I sorted myself and the marriage out; My partner's heart isn't in it to pick up the slack I created.  She's my sister and basically stuck around based on a sense of obligation and knowing the personal issues I was going through.  Now that I'm in a better place mentally, she's done. 

During this time, the firm saw projects finish, with no new ones coming in and I let staff go.  Not all sad though, I kept up with the litigation and it paid the bills nicely.... until 2 years ago when it dried up.  So now it's just me sitting alone in a office meant for a staff of 20... Sort of sucks. 

I'm standing at that crossroads trying to decide whether I have it in me to build it up again, or work for someone else, or most preferred is to merge or gain a partner to share the load but have zero contacts or peers I know that I think would excel at running a firm.

So, I've sort of been sending my resume out there; Plan B.  Done one interview, got called back for a second, then nada even though they went well (sort of know that feeling since project interviews of late have done that too).... Sent out probably 4 resumes total over the last few weeks.  Not many are looking for an old dog, but I'm still young enough (47) to grow with a company or rebuild my own.  They seem to want that 8-10 years experience, not 20+...  I'm pretty sure I could fairly easily land a six digit job with my litigation competition, but that really isn't fun (it's an adversarial world) and I'm not driven monetarily.  I want to enjoy life...

On the flip side, three old clients called me up to run some conceptual designs so they could do a feasibility study.  If even one of those hits, I'll be set for a year and hiring.

I'm just in a weird place... Welcome to wonderland of firm ownership!  Do I get a real job, merge, or crash through the brush on my lonesome? 

Oct 24, 14 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

mightyaa, if I may - you are in an enviable position.

Screw working for someone else, you're way beyond that. You don't have to 'build it up again', you can make it into whatever you want it to be. Your time is your own, you don't have to take on work to maintain staff, you can pick and choose exactly what work to take and how to do it. If you need to build up, then do it, but don't do it just because that's what you did.

Spec your own small project. Enter competitions. Donate your services to a worthy cause. Cut your overhead and start networking. If you're not good at sales, no worry - being earnest and having a track record is much better. Old clients are a great place to start.

Sorry about the other thing. But every crisis presents opportunity. Grab it and have fun - the adventure is on!

Oct 24, 14 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

... mispost

Oct 24, 14 3:22 pm  · 
 · 

Ugh, mightyaa, thank you for posting that.  I'm sorry it has been so rough. Lots to respond to, and I'm on my way out the door...but I understand you on many levels.  I'm also 47 and ALSO at a career crossroads.  I recently surprised a much younger architect by telling her I feel like I've still, at my age, got at least one if not two major career changes left in me. I think many younger people think you need to have it all figured out and finalized by about age 35 - as if LOL!

I'll always be in the architecture world, but I've already moved out of traditional practice - do I want to go back into it, or not? Maybe a lateral move?  Just not sure right now.

Oct 24, 14 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

@ Miles... Yes, it's not at all starting from scratch.  Ah, but the caveat kicks in;  I sort of, like most humans, need money.  3 kids, two are in HS and I assume would like to go to college.  Add to it house payments, car, insurance, cable bills, phone, etc.  

It was nice about 6 years ago before my world exploded.  I took the projects I wanted, and told the rest to find someone else.  That's a great feeling knowing you can do that and not let it bother you.  I was still in that boat 3 years ago.  Then, they stopped calling...  It's not like I pissed off someone or got a bad name.  I just stopped rattling the bushes having forgot how to do that... remember I'd been turning work away for a while and never seriously had to market myself.  They used to call...  uncharted territory for me.

@Donna... Would love to hear your story.  I've seriously contemplated lateral moves, and actually the litigation stuff could be considered that.  I have done the owner provided construction manager stuff too handling several million in construction oversight.  I've even sat on the government side of the table doing reviews and approvals/rejections due to various appointments I've held. 

Several of those resumes went to more reviewer positions doing essentially what my sister (other sister, not my partner) does; Campus architect who hires and oversee's various projects for her college handling 10 figure type budgets and dealing with big architects..

At 47, I didn't expect to be facing this sort of thing.  Another that hits hard;  My Dad, at 47 had grown his 2 man firm to 50 licensed architects.  At 50, there was a business divorce and that's how my firm started...  So he faced it too.  We've had a lot of conversations about that and how he dealt with it.  He isn't me though... I've never had his drive and the business world is different now.

Oct 24, 14 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

This probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but I haven't had to actively seek a job since 1996, when I decided to go back to architecture after a stint as a futures and options trader. My architectural employment changes since then have all been a function of me either opening my own practice or being headhunted by somebody from a job I already had.

Oct 24, 14 5:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: