Archinect
anchor

2-Story Porch Detail?

adt2

Hiya - longtime browser, first-time poster. My wife and I are in the final stages of designing our next home (we designed and built our previous home as well). The new place will have a covered balcony upstairs, directly above a screened porch downstairs. I've got the weatherproofing details (thanks, Fine Homebuilding), but I'm having a hard time locating or coming up with the exterior detail where the top of the screen porch meets the bottom of the balcony. Doesn't seem like it should just be a smooth plane - seems like there ought to be some kind of overhang, even if it's just a little one. Other trim details are probably in order, too.

Just wondering if anybody happens to have a detail of this area they'd be able to share (or a shove in the right direction if you know where to find some online).

Thanks in advance for your input!

Oct 17, 14 2:37 pm
chigurh

slap a 2x12 on it.

Oct 17, 14 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Isn’t this it?

Oct 17, 14 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

add more 2x12's!!!!  solid!!

Oct 17, 14 10:06 pm  · 
 · 

Everything you need to know can be found right here:

Oct 17, 14 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

deadmau5 is asking - well, how many 2 by's you got under the 2nd story? Does it look like Carrera's photo?

Is the screen custom or purchased pre made?

I'd set is back a bit and get the maximum drip edge action going on.

Oct 17, 14 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

http://www.houzz.com/balcony-above-a-entery-porch

check out the 6th picture down

Oct 17, 14 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Go do it, that's it! Case closed.

Oct 17, 14 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

Just a heads up for the future. Architects don't design for free, even on forums.

Oct 17, 14 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Traditional homes make me sick

Oct 19, 14 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Wow... Just looked at your detail above more closely...

Your joists are end/toe-nailed to rim joists that are unsupported... The bearing surface of your post is under (2) 2-by's that provide almost no real support,,, unless this is a cantilever and the post is not steuctural.... I would really consult a professional before letting kids hang out up there...

Oct 19, 14 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

The detail picture really isn’t a balcony – just was meant to show the arrangement of things, which is what I thought the OP was after. 

Oct 19, 14 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

I was being sarcastic...Like anybody could give the OP any real direction based on his generic description with no sketch....

put a bird on it!

Oct 19, 14 5:38 pm  · 
 · 

To the OP, just make sure you don't use a 1-story porch detail by mistake.

Oct 19, 14 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

copy paste - oh shit...miles this could never happen.

Oct 23, 14 11:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: