Archinect
anchor

M.Arch I application followup thread (GRE, Toefl, Portfolio etc.)

Fountain

Dear people of this forum!

I've been silently look at posts for quite a while and have learned a lot with you guys! I'm trying to enroll fall 15, yes I know it's a bit hasty! (I'd be lying to say that I've not stressed out and questioned myself many times but I guess this is something to get used to right;)  

So my first question here has to do with the GRE. Though some schools I'm looking at have clear cut off line, in most cases the requirement seem a myth. I took my first GRE last week and scored a V149Q163 (AW score didn't come out yet), obviously the V isn't enough for some (like Rice, alas how I'd love to go to Rice!) But I wonder if that alone blocks me out of these dreamy schools, because if that's what I'm facing then I probably have to take the test again and it's really challenging, for I still have to put together the portfolio and the rest of the documents. Would you suggest that I spend time studying to retake the GRE or just ignore it and go straight to portfolio?

And by the way I'd really love some suggestion on the M.Arch I portfolio! Anything from your experience or what you'd be looking for if you were the jury, thanks in advance! :)

Have a good day everyone!

Oct 17, 14 2:28 pm
bugsmetoo

If the GRE cutoff is 150 for Verbal (seems to be around there on average) and you were stellar on everything else, I highly doubt schools without a set minimum would refuse you based on that one point. On the exam, that one point would be just one correct or incorrect guess, not indicative of much.

Work on the portfolio and other stuff and if you still feel insecure about the GRE, do it at the very end. Seeing as you are pressed for time and just starting, the portfolio will likely be the difference-maker. Assemble first then come back for advice on layout and such--it's your body of work and should speak of you, not us anonymous folk online who have no vested interest in you.

Oct 17, 14 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
Spidey

I'd really suggest to focus more on your portfolio/essay. I got a 148Q and 153V (sad scores) and still got in at many good places. Having a stellar GRE isn't the determining factor for getting in, I hear it helps more for getting better scholarships. 

Oct 21, 14 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

No one gives a shit about the GRE.

Oct 22, 14 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
Fountain

@Spidey

That's exactly what I'm concerned about. I do need that scholarship (yielding to smaller towns or less renowned programs for economic considerations). I've sort of waived my G books since the test and dedicated all off-work hours to building the portfolio. Did you get any scholarship, if you don't mind me asking?

Oct 23, 14 3:41 am  · 
 · 
Spidey

I did get scholarships, though they were very low. Some schools offered me a TA or GA position as well. But yeah, low scholarship= loans. Public(state) universities are good because they offer in-state tuition if you become a resident, cutting the cost in half sometimes. 

Oct 25, 14 9:46 am  · 
 · 
Fountain

Been going through people's portfolios on ISSUU. This is really frustrating (inspiring at the same time, out of frustration). Even those claiming not having related education have amazing CAD and all those visualization stuff. And everybody (including the ones claiming without experience) seems to know actually quite a big deal about buildings already (as some even refer loads of programs attended in Columbia and other schools)! I got loads of drawings, some painting, some 3D works - just as indicated on school sites, and it just seems way behind these people no matter how (for starters, I honestly don't think starting to pick up CAD now is a good idea, considering the time left). I'm wondering if the sample pool is fair enough on ISSUU, do these publishers represent fairly what most people's portfolios to M.Arch 1 look like or only those that got them into top programs?

Nov 10, 14 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
flatroof

Not everyone has the time and/or the $6000 to take a six week summer course at GSD/Berkeley/GSAPP (Or the outrageous 30K+ Paris/NYC program). Does that put you at a disadvantage? I don't know. Not everyone who takes these courses gets into those schools M.Arch programs. School don't expect, or even want, CAD drawings from applicants with no design background. If your stuff shows potential you have a shot at some decent schools.

Nov 10, 14 10:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: