Archinect
anchor

Bsc. Econ applying to UBC/UT/Berkeley MArch

21pieces

I have a BSc in Resource Economics from UBC. I'm applying to the MArch because I think I'd be better at addressing social issues through my creative talents and it'd be more rewarding than a career in economics. 

I come from such a different background (not fine arts) and I haven't come across any people in my situation. I plan to explain in my letter of intent how my previous studies in land economics/ resource conservation policies tie into an architecture program that focuses on sustainability/ social impact.

But I am unsure what the expectations would be for my portfolio, as I do not have experience doing architectural drawings/ modelling (although I've researched a bit about it).

Out of my artistic hobbies, I'm planning to focus the most on my 'fashion design' work-- I make original clothes for myself. I also do amateur photography (http://cynthiachouphotography.tumblr.com/) and have several sketchbooks of paintings/drawings, plus a couple ceramics projects. I also plan to demonstrate my skills in InDesign through the portfolio layout. 

Any suggestions on what I should emphasize in my portfolio, or how to strengthen my application?? Also any advice on which school (UBC, U of T and Berkeley) is best for job prospects would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Oct 16, 14 9:56 am
bugsmetoo

Don't conflate design with art. The problem with some "artistic" hobbies, e.g. photography, drawing, painting, is that none of these solve problems. That's why they belong in the realm of art, subjective and usually emotionally charged. You can't gauge a person by their photographic eye because for all anyone knows, it might have been a random shot or pure luck from a burst sequence. Composition, exposure, subject, these elements showcase skill and understanding of space but still, it mostly ignores the process of creating a viable solution.

Sketches and such should be fine. A portfolio layout simply tells someone what sort of visual aesthetic you likely follow or mimic, not much more than that. Don't try to be someone you're not at this point. Your photos lack focus, or any focus I could discern. The rocks one you can probably turn into some project but that'll depend on your existing knowledge and how much time is left to complete it.

If this is a spur of the moment decision, consider taking another year to think it over and do something related in the meantime.

Oct 16, 14 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Perhaps photo journalism?

Oct 17, 14 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
martrench

I am in the same boat. Studied finance undergrad and now I am looking to do a M.arch. I also have questions of what to include in my portfolio, which is now mostly sketches and design work. I was told it is best to showcase a variety of what you have since it is not expected to for you to have architecturally related work. Any other advice would be appreciated though!

Oct 20, 14 10:16 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

I don't see anything in that photography portfolio that suggests any kind of spatial thinking. I agree with @bugsmetoo; you should wait another year and spend the interim actually preparing a real portfolio.

Oct 20, 14 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: