Archinect
anchor

Humans of New York - Architecture

b3tadine[sutures]

"We're all victims of the architect. Architecture is the only art that you can't help but feel. You can avoid paintings, you can avoid music, and you can even avoid history. But good luck getting away from architecture." - Phillippe Daverio

From cityvisionweb:

Francesco Lipari + Boris Prosperini: It has been a while now since Rome has been subject to a non-consistence architectural politic. What do you think about the fact that recently, the architectural movement, is hidden below the skirt of MAXXI museum? 

Philippe Daverio: It is hard to define, because the architecture that is not the product of a political virtue, does not become a stable architecture, contrarily it is not able to even communicate with it’s environment. The MAXXI museum is an institution subject to many critical evaluations, much more compared to others that are usually less criticized. I think the participations of Mr. Mayer and Mr. Renzo Piano are successful, I still don’t know about the one of Mr. Zaha Hadid, but of course his knowledge of the city is inferior compared to that of the first two architects. The MAXXI museum is an object bought the market of architecture, and left still where it is, In the same way one would buy by a BMW.

Aside from their impeccable style, any thoughts? I think he's spot on, sadly, but would we have it any other way? 

Oct 15, 14 12:00 am
midlander

what is a "non-consistence architectural politic"? Is the respondent actually unaware that Zaha Hadid is a woman?

I'll admit: I understood neither the question nor the response. What did you get out of this Beta?

The quote at the top is trueish. Except I'd add fashion, product design and the culinary arts to those which cannot be avoided, only ignored.

Oct 15, 14 4:34 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

mid, i hear you. this photo with the quote, was posted by HoNY on FB. i wanted to give the critic some context for his quote, and this one struck me for the comment, and the reference to "Mr. Zaha Hadid".

I wonder if the translation got screwed up, or if he was deliberately being an ass. 

Perhaps this is a more relevant quote from the interview:

Francesco Lipari + Boris Prosperini: Our Magazine just published the results of the second edition of the CityVision Competition, the international architectural contest that aims to propose new housing ideas and solutions for the city of tomorrow. After Rome, the subject of the matter became Venice, trying to recognize which could be the Key to integrate its historical soul with its future one. The concept resembles the conflicted relation between your “reliable” Biennial Exhibition and the absolute modernity that it should represent. Which of the latest Biennial Exhibitions has better represented this concept? 

Philippe Daverio: I thought that the one that declared that architecture does not exist was a madman. The one held 5 years ago, about the 51% of world population was a great Biannual Exhibition. Architectural Biennials have more success compared to Art exhibitions, because they have a great value, which is to truly interest people. The Exhibitions of contemporary art do not interest  anyone anymore, they are something self-celebrating that is only useful to insiders. It has died. On the contrary architecture touches topics that are much more useful and innovative.

Oct 15, 14 6:31 am  · 
 · 

"We're all beneficiaries of the architect."

There, fixed it for you.

Oct 15, 14 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

It is a peculiar way of presenting individual lives (perhaps in discreet praise of the city adorned by them). I haven't yet wrapped my mind around it...in a way, in exposing the idiosyncrasies of urban dwellers' lives, the format collapses these idiosyncrasies into a cute sageness, benign, generic story board...tragedies and comedies, all in small snapshot frames, flipping though them like comics. Well, Im not sure if it can be called sageness...or a consumable objectification of their individualism, rendered into pretty bytes of representation. or perhaps a visual-textual temple of individualism, this age's global religion.

and its in the title as well...Humans of New York. cute docu-zoology.

Oct 15, 14 3:44 pm  · 
 · 

We're all victims of the developer.

Oct 15, 14 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Related somewhat to "violence in architecture" by tschumi

Oct 15, 14 6:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: