Archinect
anchor

Open House Professor Meetings/Interviews

archhopeful

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Professor meetings/interviews during prospective student open houses. I am specifically wondering about the Yale open house and meeting with Dean Robert Stern. For anyone who has participated in this or something similar, what are these brief meetings like? I read that each meeting can have up to three students, so is there an opportunity for everyone to ask questions? How do prospective students dress for this and the rest of the open house day?

Thank you in advance!

Oct 14, 14 2:06 pm
archhopeful

Does anyone have any advice?

Oct 16, 14 10:20 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

marchhopeful, I have no idea how Yale's open house works but when I was looking at getting into an architecture undergrad program, I went to that school's open house and got talking with one of the professors. I struck up a conversation and he offered to set up a meeting at another time for me to show him my portfolio. That meeting was incredible as he picked apart the good from the okay and even identified things from my "bad" pile that he claimed would be enough on their own for admittance. I was accepted the following year and that prof eventually wrote me a recommendation letter when it came time to move on to another school for my masters. Longish story, but yes, some profs make themselves available to those who seek them, just don't expect any to open offer their help, hunt for it.

As for dress code, don't know and don't care. Fashion is pointlessly subjective. I remember participating in entrance interviews years ago and one applicant showed up in clothing he made himself. Yes, it looked like he just woke up from under some overpass and rolled out in front of this admittance panel, but still... the portfolio and applicant's character drives much more than where you bought your shoes.

Oct 16, 14 10:35 am  · 
 · 
archhopeful

Thank you!

Oct 16, 14 10:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: