Archinect
anchor

For M.Arch program; UIC,IIT or SAIC? HELP!

Hi guys! 

I have a Bachelor's degree in Environmental Design and I want to do a Master's degree in architecture, specifically in Chicago because I love the city. There are 3 schools of architecture there. 
Among UIC, IIT and SAIC, which college is best in the M.Arch program? 
I'm looking for a good university, a good program and a low tuition or otherwise give financial aid. So far UIC its my first option because it's public, but I really have doubts because in the rankings appears that SAIC's best university. 

HELP please and thanks! :)

Oct 14, 14 2:27 am
mespellrong

They are all apples and oranges. IIT will make you a strong technician but is stifling if you are a free spirit. UIC is affordable and well rounded, but many graduates say that it is easy to slip through the cracks and just pass through. SAIC is great if you are deeply creative and very self motivated, but t isn't very helpful if you have a real deficit you need to address. Michigan is academic; Notre Dame is Classical.

At the end of the day, the question is what kind of architect do you want to be?

Oct 14, 14 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
apapaz
I'd say IIT. Take a tour of each program and feel it out because that's where you are going to spend most of your time working on projects
Oct 15, 14 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

IIT offers a lot of scholarships for promising students - don't assume you'll be paying full tuition. Talk to the school if you're interested. If you plan to work in Chicago their program is well respected and has connections to most of the big / interesting offices in the city.

That said I worked with some alumni from UIC too and they seemed satisfied with their education. It had a reputation for being more oriented towards theory and socially-progressive practice a few years back - not sure about now. I never knew anyone from the SAIC who worked as an architect - maybe because their program is newer.

Oct 15, 14 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
domestico

I considered Chicago for my M.Arch as well, visited IIT and UIC, and preferred UIC, impressed with the faculty and student work, location in Chicago, neighbourhood seemed nice.  Student work a good reflection of the faculty's work, which is positive, given the faculty's work is fairly esteemed in academic circles and journals. I really like Sean Lally's work for instance, even encountered him once and was quite impressed. 

I visited U of Michigan as well, not sure it's worth the sticker price.??  maybe i'm wrong, I like the vibe of the student work, didn't like the vibe of the school building, nor Ann Arbor, UIC is maybe 1/3 the tuition, you're right beside downtown Chicago, and you'll may be just as equiped with the latest tools and theory of the trade as Michigan. One thing I'll say about michigan is that the vibe of the work is different then most other schools in the USA, seems very particular to ideosyncratic research interests, very advanced in terms of digital fabrication, modelling and representation, although I could say the same for UIC in some sense.

I'd say most importantly investigate the faculty's work and student work and see what most aligns with you're own.  Student work is usually highly reflective of faculty work.

You can see MIchigan work yourself in Dimensions here:

http://taubmancollege.umich.edu/architecture/publications/dimensions/

Oct 16, 14 1:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: