Archinect
anchor

Applying for MLA/M.Arch - Advice Appreciated

holleli

Hello,

I am in the beginning stages of applying for grad schools and I would appreciate some advice about whether or not pursuing an MLA or M.Arch at this time would be a good idea for me. I know it's my decision ultimately, but I want to know what you all think.

I graduated this last May (2014) from the University of Arkansas with a BS in Environmental Science and a minor in sustainability. My overall GPA post-graduation is a 3.95, my (new scale) GRE scores are 166 verbal and 163 quantitative. I am currently looking at applying to BS Civil Engineering programs and the MS Environmental Engineering program at my alma mater since it is one of the few accredited programs of its kind. I am also looking at applying to MLA and M.Arch programs, preferably at schools that have both 3+ MLA and 3/3.5+ M.Arch options for people like me without arch degrees. 

I have a scientific background but took classes across a wide variety of departments. My junior year I got very interested in art and architecture and my interest has only grown since then. I am naturally very logical and good with science but also artistic. My artistic side has been late in blooming though. My freshman year I took art lecture and my junior year I took architecture lecture and had a blast. The summer after that, I took a fundamentals of drawing class and American landscape painting art history course. My senior year I interned at a local non-profit art gallery as a promotion & publicity person. I haven't drawn a ton since my drawing class but have on and off and have started developing my photography and collage skills as well.

I have been out of school for less than a year but feel eager to enter school again and to enter a new field related to my old one. A lot of people on here say to wait longer before going to grad school and work, but I feel like I can't even pursue work in the fields I'm wanting to work in (engineering, architecture..) without going to school and gaining those skills. I've had various jobs so far and currently have two part-time jobs as a substitute teacher and a legal secretary at a law firm. I am looking for a career that I can get at least decent pay, stability, and flexibility and one in which I can combine my technical and creative skills. I am also a very hands-on, tangible, object-liking person.

I am wondering if it's a good idea to apply to MLA/M.Arch programs at this stage in my life. I also cannot decide between M.Arch and MLA (just as I am trying to decide between engineering and arch). I love buildings and their design fascinates me, but I'm also pragmatic and interested in public space and sustainable design. I think no matter what they're both always going to crossover in my head. I am horrible at identifying plants though and I like working with them and really do enjoy gardening and growing some sweet veggies in my spare time, but it's not my passion. What schools have a good crossover between MLA/M.Arch?

I am also overreacting about the whole portfolio thing, I think. I'm really worried that whatever I put out there won't be good enough. I have some drawings from my drawing class (master's copies, still life sketches), some charcoal self portrait drawings, photographs, magazine collages, and some poems. But I'm worried it's not enough. I want to get back into drawing and learning more art, I've just been really busy with the rest of my life the last year and am worried I won't be able to learn enough to add more variety to my portfolio. How important is variety? Is a portfolio full of simple sketches and some other stuff enough? I was thinking of trying to do a mini green wall design rendering sort of thing, but my computer application skills are severely lacking and coming from a non-design background I am still in the beginning of developing my design skills. I really want to learn that stuff, but obviously that's why I'm applying to design degree programs. 

Any general advice about whether applying for an MLA/M.Arch is a good idea for me or about my prospects for getting into schools/getting financial aid is greatly appreciated. 

Oct 12, 14 11:59 pm
bugsmetoo

You asked this four months ago so what has changed since? 

Oct 13, 14 1:03 am  · 
 · 
holleli

No, I asked this 16 months ago. In 2013. Not 2014. Math yo. A lot has changed since then. 

I guess I've been thinking and I haven't really considered an Architectural Engineering degree. If anyone has any knowledge about that field, I'd love to hear it.

Oct 13, 14 1:20 am  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

Doesn't sound like it so whatever, four months or sixteen is all the same. 

The explicit cynicism on this board should tell you that plenty of people went into this field expecting one thing and got another out of the deal, more or less the opposite of stable career, steady profession (internal dynamics all messed up), and demanded services in a changing economy. What you think the field is, being artistic and designing stuff, falls into the trap sold to those latching onto romanticized notions of daily realities. 

An interest does not mean a career is the right way to pursue it. It might be better kept as a hobby or weekend activity instead of a daily grind. The reasons you want to go into landscape architecture or architecture in general seems like they would quickly die out once the reality of a lifelong career ahead settles in. 

Why engineering, if that's the easier question to answer? Logic and pragmatism are general skills applicable anywhere so don't use that as a reason. Nor is science removed from the arts completely so avoid that slippery slope. You seem to have a hard time answering these questions completely judging by the tone and connotations in-between lines. There isn't much time to soul-search at whatever age you are.

Oct 13, 14 1:52 am  · 
 · 
holleli

Engineering and architecture appeal to me because of their design aspect and their supposed hands-on aspect. I hated research as an undergrad and dropped the thesis program I was in. Instead, I spent all of my time doing community projects and volunteering and dabbling in art. I am good at math and physics and genuinely would not have any problem crunching numbers all day. I do realize some things should be left to the realm of hobbies. That's a good point. I'm interested in a job where I can get out a bit and see some real-world results. I like working on interdisciplinary projects. I'm interested in working on sustainable infrastructure and community projects. I'm detail oriented and good at concentrating for long periods of time.

Both engineering and architecture seemed like fields that fit my interests and my aptitudes. And my want to incorporate more design into my education and work. I am very much in favor though, regardless of my interests, of picking up an education and career in something that is in demand and is really needed by society at large.

Oct 13, 14 2:18 am  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

You won't be crunching numbers as I doubt manual input is faster than what machines can simulate and verify a hundred times in seconds. But you will need to solve problems, or in other words, design a solution. Design can be applied in any field, from the few mentioned to even things like community activism or some sort of art education or civic involvement. Too often it is lumped into art and many problems rise from a lofty ideal that no one really needs or wants to pay for. Look at what students are producing today and ask if you'd live or like to work in such creations, let alone pay the certainly comical construction costs. Disconnect from real needs and obviously few real-world results as a consequence.

The last sentence in your response is far too vague to be of any help. What's demanded in society? Everyone. More doctors, nurses, teachers, social workers, janitors, financial consultants, designers, engineers, chefs, line cooks, etc. They are all needed for modern society to continue its course forward. Jobs that is in demand today (i.e. pay well without the gritty years put in) will be filled soon when everyone rushes to fill that vacuum and even the promises of STEM leaves many out of the lucrative lifestyles. I never understood the high financial expectations myself though.

Do we need petroleum engineers? Exxon might for further exploration and their continued existence; some other company might hire for fracking. Do we need bright engineers working for the military to develop more destructive weapons? The DoD might love that but how does it benefit the world when bombs are consciously created? What's in demand might not be needed by society at large or help it progress in any way is my point. You seem like someone who will be too conscious of the cash-for-complacency shadowy things going on to actually take such positions although nice offers will tempt anyone who still needs to make a living regardless of moral ground.

I think you'll be fine if you just pick one path and stick to it. The field overlap so whichever route is decide on, you'll be able to interact between the industries and act as a nuanced mediator. Think of design as solving problems, whether it be a better bridge, more efficiently designed house, or better-feeling can opener. Did you also look into industrial design which would bridge design and engineering into things that most people can actually afford? Art is important to an extent but art is not design, the motivation behind it leading to different outcomes. If you can clearly define what you want to do with this degree change and arrange/create a body of work that shows the process, then you should be fine. It's hard to gauge and suggest how to proceed without seeing anything.

Seeing as portfolios are due in about 2-3 months for most programs, that may or may not be enough time to get everything done. If you want to do the architecture stuff, consider taking another year to work on your portfolio that isn't simply an aimless compilation. Recent grad, got some things going on, not idling by like a potato--a gap year isn't going to kill your chances.

Oct 13, 14 3:08 am  · 
 · 
holleli

I see what you mean by design being everywhere. I guess what I meant is I want an education that teaches that sort of thinking. I think architecture and engineering provide that. They're both challenging curriculums and I think, regardless of what I actually got for a job afterwards, I would benefit from learning to "think like an architect/engineer."

I do want to solve problems. That's what I mean when I say I want to be in a career that is "needed" by society (in demand) because that will give me more leverage to actually be in a position that has an impact and to be able to use my problem solving skills. I think people should follow their passions, but I am not turned on by the idea of following my passion and not being employable because that would ruin all my chances of actually being able to use my education to solve those societal problems, at least in my career. But when people work 8 hours a day, that's a big portion of your daily life. And this may all be easier for me because I obviously have several fields that fit into my "passions."

Of course I'm not going to abandon my morals, but you can't deny that petroleum engineers and weapons manufacturers are in demand if they have jobs. Not that I want to do those things. But I think most career fields can be used for societal "good" or "bad", relatively speaking.

I really would like to find one path and stick with it. But I guess getting to that place of decision is what I'm trying to do right now. I haven't looked much into industrial engineering, just civil and architectural. I guess I don't really know if architecture is the right field for me because I don't really think I'm good at conceptual design, or that I much enjoy it. I'm just really good at taking things that already exist and making something new. I am interested in these fields because I feel like to be satisfied in my job, I have to be physically creating something out there or at least a part of the team planning something that will be created. I like making things. But merging form and functionality and being financially and sustainably wise in the design process are important to me. Frank Lloyd Wright and the Bauhaus school are big inspirations for me, if that says anything. I know architecture is seen as something that puts design and aesthetics above real-world cost-effectiveness and structural integrity (or some people see it that way), but I don't think they're mutually exclusive. I'm really interested in sustainable infrastructure and materials and reclaiming worn down structures and strengthening them. All the while keeping an eye for aesthetics. But maybe this means I am more suited for engineering since they're more into resilience of structures. I don't know how I feel about the idea of pursuing a second BS, but engineering seems to be different than most fields so...

And I would feel better to have more time to develop my art and portfolio. I'm eager to go back to school, but I am kind of stressed about trying to pull this off. Mostly because I feel like I lack severely in computer design and art skills and I am just beginning to get into painting and ceramics.

Oct 13, 14 8:43 am  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

Look into industrial design. The way you describe the other two, I feel it'd fit you. You get the engineering aspect, plus it is hands-on, works with teams, probably able to travel or at least get out there, incorporates materials and environmental decisions, and has the aesthetic part of design dueling with the practical realizable part. Not sure what sort of education you'd need but it is a merging of design and engineering without being too confining. If you like that sort of work. Won't be making too many building-sized things but that might not be a big deal in the long run (and it's not like you cannot be part of the conception stage for a store design or whatnot).

Skills are always developing. There is no waiting six months or six years for them to fully bloom. Art is culturally important but does it necessarily make anyone a good designer beyond the ease of visual communication? Not really. Computer stuff you will pick up over time, it's nothing a little trial-and-error can't fix. 

Oct 13, 14 2:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: