Archinect
anchor

Not sure if I should take another year off before grad school

proximity

So I graduated with a BS.Arch this past spring and I made a last minute decision to take a year off grad school for a few reasons. I'm again in a position where I'm not sure if I want to take a year off grad school.

A major reason I didn't last year was that my portfolio wasn't nearly ready. I completed one during the spring for job apps, but it isn't at all grad school worthy. I'm working on my grad school portfolio right now, which means editing and adding to my work, including basically redoing my project last semester. I can have it ready by Dec 15th I think but I'll have to work a lot on it.

The major reason I'm considering taking a year off right now, though, is my current job. I got a job rough framing houses with a brand new framing company. My boss is essentially my age and super ambitious. He knows that I have an architecture degree and he wants me to be a project manager as well as start making construction documents for projects as well as doing the designing (it's mostly renovations right now). This goes without saying but it's a huge opportunity for me to be able to put on my resume that I was essentially the "lead architect" for a residential construction company. I know that's kind of lofty for me to say, but it's basically true. To be able to do this for more than until next fall (and winter is the slow time so it won't really pick up until the spring) would be very cool.

I'm also considering the idea of only applying to the school I want to go to most: Columbia. If I get in then it'll be worth it to not take a year off and if I don't then it'll give me more time to work on my portfolio (as well as take on new projects and competitions and the like to add to my portfolio) and apply to all my other schools next winter. It would give me two chances to get into my dream school. However I'm not sure if it's "right" to ask my recommenders to write me letters twice.

Oct 10, 14 11:08 pm
drums please, Fab?

They can just white-out the date on the letters ...

and you would be the 'lead designer', not architect.  Someday you'll realize why ... maybe 

Oct 11, 14 12:36 am  · 
 · 
midlander

If you're accepted most schools will let you defer enrollment for a year. Check with the schools you're applying to, but there doesn't seem to be much reason to apply twice.

Your framing job probably won't contribute much towards getting accepted at a school like Columbia (though it certainly will be valuable in your professional career). So if you decide to go that way either apply now and defer enrollment, or do a good job polishing your portfolio.

Give a little thought to what kind of work you want to be doing after grad school - it might make this easier to sort out. If your goal is to be the lead architect for a construction company, Columbia doesn't make as much sense as somewhere with a hand-on program where you could do some design-build studios and maybe get some construction management credits.

Oct 11, 14 1:17 am  · 
 · 

Great gig, great opportunities, why would you fuck all that up to go to grad school?

Oct 11, 14 9:19 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

What Miles said, in spades.

Oct 11, 14 10:02 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

aren't we trying to become architect's so we can build real buildings?.... you have the opportunity already

Oct 11, 14 7:06 pm  · 
 · 

Well I don't want to do homes all my life and I can't get licensed with my current degree so grad school is a mustl

Oct 12, 14 2:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: