Archinect
anchor

Tom Wiscombe Surface Modeling

hynzla

Does anyone know what software/command/script Tom Wiscombe uses to nest geometry within a loose outer skin? He talks a lot about theory but never about the specific technologies he uses to support those theories. I'm assuming it's primarily Rhino, but I'm only aware of the Drape command, which produces a surface similar to a poor vacuform in most cases.

Sci-Arc grad students are taught this technique:

http://www.estm.us/category/studio-tom-wiscombe/

The images below show the process. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Oct 11, 14 12:26 am
awaiting_deletion

I can think of multiple ways of doing this in 3dsmax with built-in commands but want to make sure I understand the problem first. You intend on taking a 2d plane with built in geometrical patterns, for instance a grid, and then you want to conform this plane as a skin over another solid 3d geometry? Can the embedded 2d geometry distort?

Oct 11, 14 8:15 am  · 
 · 
hynzla

Thanks for the response. Yes, the way you've described it is accurate. I want to be able to control parameters such as elasticity and weight as the 2D plane conforms over solid geometry. Deformations in the plane's 2D geometry would be welcomed byproducts.

Oct 11, 14 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

hynzla I accept the challenge in 3dsMax.  Now by controlling parameters do you mean live interaction, or prior to you running the solution? (undo will always be an option).   In 3dsMax we can have an approach of 'baked' animation conforming to virtual physics or less accurate live interaction, it gets messy but can be cleaned up.

Do you use 3dsMax?  I don't really know Rhino, learned to script in Rhino when David Rutten scripts were free and Grasshopper did not quite exist yet, even used the first version of Rhino in like 1998, so I'm sure I could figure it out in Rhino, but too busy to take that challenge.

Thanks.

Oct 11, 14 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

I know there were some cloth commands/functions in maya, where you could drape a surface over another framework and it would conform to the framework based on specific cloth parameters and gravity settings in the software.  Now that 3ds and Maya are both owned by autodesk...they probably use the same physics...I would start there.

Oct 11, 14 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
hynzla

I don't use 3dsMax, but I have access to it at school and of course through Autodesk Education software. Parameters being set prior to running is fine- undo will be way to experiment. A script or definition in grasshopper would allow for more rapid parameter adjustment. I'm open to anything! ...insofar as I can edit the resulting geometry and make a polished design out of it.

Oct 12, 14 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

hynzla - swamped as usual, taking a relief by killing time on archinect, so here's a link to some old 3dsmax stuff that will get you started- metamechancis blog 3dsmax   .  

stepwise, written description below for the most basic approach, screenshots by weekend:

1.0 make a 2D - Plane.  Either use "meshsmooth", "tessellate", or "Subdivide" to make into equal divisions with different patterns.  see this link for other things you can do with meshsmooth for divisions of the plane geometry - ali torabi on vornoi's in max

1.1 or make some funky 2D hatch in CAD, explode and the import

1.2 or in 3dsMax make a 2d Plane and then draw whatever you want with Splines and use "shapemerge" to make the line patterns become segments of the plane

2.0  make the funk 3d solid the 2D plane is fall/conform to

3.0 this is the easiest option for conforming - add the "cloth" modifier to the 2D plane, setup the simulation within the "cloth" modifier and run the simulation until it works (see 3dsMax Notes from blog, like chapter 9 or something)

the other options I can show later...many many options

Oct 14, 14 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
plas

Hey, it's built with maya...

Mar 14, 16 3:20 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

hynzla how did it come out?

Mar 14, 16 7:55 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

The second photograph just looked like a vacuum formed  product.

Mar 14, 16 9:04 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

try kangaroo + grasshopper + rhino

or t-splines

or maya

or 3DS Max

Mar 14, 16 10:07 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Try maya - hair or cloth. Or just take primitive shapes and run particles, hair, or cloth over it. That will be the easiest method. 3ds would be a good second option.
Mar 14, 16 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia

I went to penndesign while Wiscombe was teaching there but I didnt take his studio. 100% sure they use Maya to model everything. The crease tool will be your best friend while doing that! No need to be simulaling clothes and stuff. Just model things by "hand" and use the offset surface/volume command a lot. Being able to model ridges between surface panels is important. 

Mar 14, 16 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
lilchan92

We use a combination of Maya and Rhino for this at sci-arc.. In maya, offest your edges and crease the points you like the effect in smooth (3) mode. If you aren't good in maya id suggest creating a form in rhino and exporting it in and start from there. 

Mar 17, 16 4:10 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

You could honestly do it in any 3D package.

Mar 17, 16 4:21 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

maya ncloth

Mar 17, 16 5:48 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

Bump

Any ideas on how to do it purely with Rhino in detail? Can't seem to get the loft right and gh kangaroo seems tough to control.

Nov 14, 16 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: