Archinect
anchor

H1B Visa sponsorship for a graduate-to-be architecture student in Korea

kchoi616

I am currently a student studying architecture in korea (5-year program) and a graduate-to-be next year in February.

What are the chances of me getting sponsored for the H1B visa by an architecture firm in the US?

I have lived in the States for 11 years prior to my return to korea, so my fluency in English is obviously not a problem. However, I do understand that since i'm a korean citizen (no dual citizenship or greencard), the greatest challenge for me to land a job in the US is dealing with my legal status as a foreigner. So, it probably boils down to whether the firm is willing (or even capable) of sponsoring my working visa.

I did attend the Univ. of Maryland for two years prior to my transfer to a korean university, so I do have experience studying in the US. I do have a solid portfolio and have won 2nd place at an international design competition (hosted by CTBUH), so I believe I have the skills and abilities to impress (as a student, of course). However, I'll be graduating in a foreign country and have no previous work experience, so I'm not sure how seriously those firms will even consider my portfolio and capabilities. 

I have yet to send out portfolios, because I want to understand if it's even worth the trouble.

Anyway, if anyone has been through a similar situation or can shed light on the subject, please let me know. Thanks!

Oct 10, 14 1:03 pm
gwharton

How do you feel about being a slave?

http://www.pagunblog.com/2011/12/20/the-h1b-our-modern-worlds-indentured-servitude/

Oct 10, 14 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
kchoi616

So this pertains to all foreign architects, regardless of past job experiences and whatnot? meh.. kinda guessed it but oh well

Oct 10, 14 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

It's tough to get in without some connection to someone already working in the US. Firms have no shortage of entry-level employees who show talent and are already in the US. For a firm to get an H1-B visa requires quite a lot of extra paperwork and legal expense - they wouldn't be likely to risk this on someone who is just out of school and totally unproven regardless how good the portfolio is.

Most young foreign architects in the US get their start working on their student visa to prove they can contribute - after that the employer will evaluate whether to go to the trouble of getting an H1-B. My wife (foreign citizen) worked in the US after graduate school and went through this process. Actually her salary was fair and higher than mine when she started, but she was hired before the recession when there was heavy demand.

In your case I don't think there is any reasonable chance unless you know someone senior enough to make a strong argument for hiring you.

Oct 11, 14 12:34 am  · 
 · 
kchoi616

Yep, pretty much impossible. 

I'm considering working for a construction management company here in korea. I'll probably work on overseas projects (and projects in korea as well). I'm guessing 5 years or more professional experience will help to make myself better qualified and at least make the employers to take my application seriously. 

What are the chances of a foreign 'construction manager' being hired? Would it be different at all if I'm doing architectural design instead of construction management? 

If anyone can help clarify or explain, I'm all ears here. Thanks in advance.

Oct 11, 14 3:02 am  · 
 · 
fulcrum

If I were you, I would rather go to grad school in the States (to make some connections with professors and whatnot), or work at the US firms in Korea. I just don't see any reason for the firms in the states to hire you over other candidates who already got same experience as you got in the states... Plus, it would be such a waste of your talent for you, if you are as good as you said in design, but doing CM for five years.

good luck.

Oct 11, 14 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
thompson's gazelle

Not going to happen without a solid connection. H1B applications starts in April (the caps are filled within two weeks), the visa is issued in October. No architecture office would wait 6 months to hire you. The easiest option is to go to grad school in the US, and find a job during your OPT period. Also, I've never seen anyone come back to the design field who started their career in construction management. If it's a large corporate office like samsung or hyundai, it'll be easier to make it to the US via E visa, but you wouldn't be able to design. I actually came back after finishing my masters because of the army (working at an architecture office instead of the service) and honestly have no idea how to make it back to the states. Thinking about taking a detour through Europe or China working for a couple years there. As fulcrum said, joining a Korean branch of a US office is another option, but the only US office in Korea I'm aware of is Gensler, and they are mainly focused in interior design.

Oct 12, 14 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Best bet would be to apply for a paid internship, prove yourself and then get hired for long term.  Without connections, its not easy for a firm to hire you full-time and help you with the visa seeing how many talent there is in US

Oct 12, 14 8:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: