Archinect
anchor

Modular VINYL TILE System?

homeostatic

Hey everybody,

Anybody in Archinect land know of an affordable, good modular vinyl or other heavy durable flooring system out there that does not have some terrible faux wood or stone surface?

There was this great product called "Modularity Tiles" that let you swap out a few different shapes and had a great modern color palette...

Unfortunately it has been discontinued and I cannot find anything like it out there. The closest thing I have found is Johsonite which is much less flexible and has a linoleum type fiber appearance (not sure why since it's not organic). 

If anybody has any tips, I would be very grateful. The application is in a kitchen of a rental where I am trying to coordinate some cool accent colors and going pretty graphic on things. 

BTW, it has only been 12 years since my last architectural project and probably 6 years since my last post on this great site... Feels good to be back!

-Patrick

Oct 10, 14 12:46 am

Linoleum is the green choice. Vinyl sucks.

Oct 10, 14 9:58 am  · 
 · 
homeostatic

Respectfully, I think vinyl is a sustainable material if it is durable. Biodegradability is just one criterion in green architecture. 

However, I would be open to linoleum or marmoleum if the color and modularity was right. Those are my main criteria. 

Oct 10, 14 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
homeostatic

Real shame that these type of flooring systems seem to be on the decline. A few Swedish linoleum type products (very green) I knew from early 2000s are all off the market now. 

On the other hand, cement tile is now available in plentiful variety. 

Oct 11, 14 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
BobbyNaylor

You can check out at carpetinmotion online site to get the type of tiles you want as there you will get varieties of options.

Oct 21, 14 3:55 am  · 
 · 
homeostatic

Thanks for the tip... but I did not see their color options. I saw a lot of faux stone and wood finishes which I don't want. I just want vinyl being vinyl. :)

Oct 21, 14 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: