Archinect
anchor

Thesis help

Karchitect26

Hi guys!

I have begun working on my thesis for masters and I am having some trouble adding layers of complexity to my topic.  I was wondering if anyone could provide some ideas or help that could give me a little push in the right direction.  

I attached a few slides I put together for my initial thoughts and ideas of what I want to do.

Also, this is the comment my professor made on the slides:

"Kyle, Nice work! Strong presentation, and an impressive amount of work. Here are my specific thoughts - I think your thesis question is still too broad. My biggest concern is that your thesis is rather simple - almost simplistic. (City is bad, nature is good) If all we need to do is provide more green space in the city, as indicated in your photo-montages, then you already have the solution to your thesis - already. You're done. 
So - now - how do you recognize the complexities and the tensions beneath the simple answers? Where is the tension in your thesis? I think many people would argue with you about the city. (it's where they feel at home). You will need to provide more scholarship to support your claims about stress in urban environments. And you also need to be more balanced, recognize the positive aspects of the urban environment.
Every good thesis question needs to explore new terrain - and push the edges. I'm concerned that "Holistic Design" is going to be too simple of a solution for you. (I think i said this three weeks ago, but You absolutely can not design a spa, or a theraputic retreat - because then the program is solving the thesis for you.)
So push your topic further - add layers of complexity. Read "Delirious New York" by Rem Koolhaas. Your thesis needs a twist, a crank, a jolt of energy. It's too easy, safe and sleepy right now.
Dan"

SO let me know what you guys think, any ideas you might have to make it less simple.

ALSO- I have no intention of doing a spa, or therapeutic retreat, nor is my project about just adding green space.

Thanks guys!

Oct 6, 14 2:10 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: