Archinect
anchor

Glamping

Carrera

Looking for some help - looking to build a family Glamping compound based on this and wondering what this cover-all canopy is called (brain not delivering) and where I can get one fabricated.

Thanks!

Oct 2, 14 12:42 pm
chigurh

custom sail shade canopy?

Oct 2, 14 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I've done some work w/ USA Shade and Fabritech, this may be a bit small for them

Somewhat local is Polygon Fabric - a sister company to PorterSIPS

Oct 2, 14 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I forget what the shape is called, but its a tensile fabric or canopy structure

Oct 2, 14 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Shuellmi, you nailed it! Poligon - Porter Corp.; Holland, Michigan - 146 Miles/2hr from the site!!

Thanks to all - yes - Tensile Structures, that's it!

Oct 2, 14 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I would like to see photos when it's done.

Oct 2, 14 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Stumbled on this and it fits a long time idea I’ve had about putting walled tents on a deck for a vacation cottage. This is not exactly camping if you research it. Designing a 12 person Glamp that has 3 Glamps at 15’X15’ each that’s 675 square feet. My budget is $48,000. including the land which equates to $71/SF – minus the land which I haven’t bought yet ($35,000) that’s $13,000. for construction or about $20/SF in construction cost.

Found some 15’X15’ awnings that would do the job of the conical from stated supplier but was $28,000 for the 3 that I needed – way too much – got to put my architect hat on and crack this at $6,000. which I know I can do.

It’s just a giant wood deck with PVC frames for the tents with a custom cube canvas tent I can get for about $800/ea. that just gets thrown over the frames and Voila a 15’X15’ tent. Then cover the tent with a waterproof umbrella (subject of this thread) and you’re done. Just add a framed outhouse with a compost toilet and another room with a shower – water tank with water and that’s it. No zoning, no building permit, no builder, no mortgage, no condo fees, no utilities just taxes on the land.

It’s in a vacation area and we think we can rent it out for $800/week and if we rent it out for 50% of the season we could get paid back in about 6 years. That’s a 16% return on investment and there is nowhere you will get that plus our whole family can use it at the same time. On fire over the idea, will keep you all posted.

square

Oct 2, 14 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe
don't forget about uplift...
Oct 3, 14 5:41 pm  · 
 · 

Let me know when it is built. I'll rent it out for a week.

Oct 4, 14 11:38 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Again - Architecture comes into play - the location I have in mind isn’t exactly Hawaii but the design will be, well – Architecture - and it will “sell”! Add that to the list of benefits to being an architect – what’s that bring us up to – 3?

https://glampinghub.com/

Oct 4, 14 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: