Archinect
anchor

Five zero

Meelius

Dear Archinetters.

I recently turned 50 and am having the inevitable internal career assessment.

In short I would like to return to practice (or perhaps more ideally set up my own)

To precis thus far:

I gained my dip. Arch in 1992, and on my CV in total have about 5 years experience working for several practices at Part 2/ Assistant architect level.

After my gaining my dip I moved away from conventional practice and worked for several multimedia companies as a designer/producer. (3d animation/multimedia authoring)

I also began teaching/lecturing part time and finally went into a full time academic post.

So all in all my CV is kind of a checker pattern.

I have skills in:

3d modelling/animation

presentation/motion graphics/ video editing

Photography/Photoshop.

Freehand drafting

Teaching/Lecturing/ Course management/ Syllabus/Report writing etc.

So - as I say I'd like to get back into Practice but am keenly aware that as 50 year old 'academic' who has not worked in practice for 20+ years I am probably not seen as an ideal candidate by many.

Any suggestions as to how I best proceed?

Many thanks

M

https://www.behance.net/mylescummings

Oct 1, 14 11:34 am
chigurh

start applying to firms...

Be aware, there will be age-ism when applying and it sounds like your skill-set would bring you in at an entry level position, so you would be on par with people half your age or younger.

You could try to start your own firm, but without working experience, I think that would be a tough transition.  

What you do have going for you, is that architecture is an old mans profession.  If you go the route of starting your own firm you can probably fake it till you make it as long as you have your clients trust.  You will also make some costly mistakes without having any real, current working experience in the field.  

Get liability insurance.  Get your license.  

Oct 1, 14 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Fitting-in after 50 is going to be really tough for reasons stated, the workplace is toxic and old guys are treated like Lead Paint – to go on your own requires a license in most cases and is probably your only viable option. If you can “Make Rain” getting in as a partner in a small firm (without a license) is an excellent option – being part owner is the only insurance you need. 

Oct 1, 14 12:39 pm  · 
 · 

What I am curious is after looking at your profile, you are in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

This would mean that your IDP may mean next to nill for licensing in the country that you live in. If you are looking to practice in the U.S., lets look at whatyou have and your IDP Record if it has been maintained. One big issue is if you haven't kept up your NCARB Record for the IDP hours to be retained, you may have lost ALL those IDP training hours because the records not retained. There has been these issues before. Hope that they haven't lost your IDP training hours records. We are talking 20+ years. 

If you plan to work in the U.S. again then I suggest you look at residential and light commercial projects and find states that allows you to design houses and light commercial projects without requiring an architect license.

In addition, I would recommend you take building codes update courses and get familiar with the new codes and if possible work with an architect or building designer.

Because you're potentially 20+ years behind the building codes, you will have some learning curve but it is possible to get up to date. There is also a large range of new products which will make things challenging for you to get employment. However, you should be able to get back up on the game but I recommend smaller projects to get back into the practice.

I think most firms in the U.S. firms will be apprehensive with anyone who doesn't have architectural education or architectural/building design work experience within the last 5 years let alone 20 years unless they are looking for a 3d animator or graphic artist (basing on the experience you had over the past 20 years).

Oct 1, 14 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
mj100

Meelius-

If you really want to be an architect, just do it. It takes commitment and hard work, but it can be done! Keep in mind that Daniel Libeskind didn't build his first building until he was 52! It is never too late.

Oct 2, 14 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
Meelius

Thanks for all the constructive comments, much appreciated.

I should perhaps have pointed out that I am a Brit seeking to practice in the UK and so the RIBA /ARCUK are the professional bodies in question. That said I don't think that changes much & the same principles apply whether its IDP or RIBA.

Cheers

M

Oct 10, 14 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Architects typically don't do their best work until they are sixty. You've got lots of time. 

Oct 11, 14 1:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: