Archinect
anchor

when do you let them know that you are looking for a job?

April14

So it's been a couple of years running around trying to make it happen after graduation from MArch. This weekend I found there's a young firm I like, and chatted with its principal during his building's walking tour. I mentioned that I'd like to visit his office and he said welcome anytime as the studio is really chill! So I am going to write an email tomorrow for visiting. Eventually, I need to let him know about the following and be impressive in stead of intimidating. Please someone point direction in terms of when and how to bring them up? ( e.g.in initial Email? During the visit? Latter on after the visit?)

1. I'm looking for a job in architecture.

2. I have thorough understanding of North American urban development issues and good experience in urban design, which can help with his practice marketing socially conscious solutions.

3. I am a lawyer turned planner and planner turned architect. So creative and logical at the same time, also surprisingly young for this combination. I would be great at convincing the city or interest groups.

4. I'm Chinese from China but not like lame at all (yeah I face reality)Spent the past 10 years trying to understand North American social economical condition and people's value system as well as taste in visual arts through study in planning and architecture.  I feel the results are significant.

5. All in all, smart cool deep thinking female though small talk is not my strongest suit from the get go ( not retarded but English is not mother tongue)

Sep 29, 14 12:39 am
Carrera

April, The hardest part is over, just being able to meet someone face-to-face is gold. Do the visit and just "Chill" - then at the end of the visit tell him how impressed you are and hand him your portfolio and ask for a second meeting to discuss joining the firm - that's all you really need to do.

Good luck!

Sep 29, 14 8:59 am  · 
 · 

While you're definitely looking for a job in architecture, and while it may be a critical point in wanting to meet with someone with that firm, it's also critical that you don't start off with "I'm looking for a job in architecture." Doing this is a great way to end a conversation, and quickly. Keep the conversation open ended! Try instead to have a fairly casual dialogue about each other, and show how their projects relate to your background, and how you really like the work, and what your abilities are.

When it does get to the point where they understand you want a job with them, potentially, show what you can do for them and what you expect out of it, especially as a learning experience. The most important thing is to be speaking their language (well, figuratively) so that you're a good fit. You might not be the greatest in speaking English, but can you otherwise communicate things effectively?

The fact that you have a great grasp on American socioeconomics is a big plus - this is something that affects the profession and communities greatly. Get involved and you can have control of what happens, or you can just let the world control you - leaving you on the outside looking in. Not a good place to be!

Sep 29, 14 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ
Your background is extremely interesting. Even if you are a bit shy, it should be an easy story to tell and a great segway to getting a job.

I also really respect that fact that you are Chinese and have gained an understanding of American economics and cultire(I'm writing this from Beijing btw). So often people come over and do everything they can to not assimilate.

The person who asks for the job always gets it over the person who waits to be courted. If it's a job you want then make your intentions clear and go for it.
Sep 29, 14 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
haruki

One of the most useful lessons that I have learned so far from my life coach is that if there is something you want from a person you should let them know and not expect them to read your mind.

In this case my approach would be to go on the office visit and be as cool and friendly as you can be, and then a day or so later contact the principal  and tell them that you can't stop thinking about how much you would like to work in their office, what a good match you think your skills and interests are,  and then ask how to make working with them a reality. 

If a potential employee came to me with in that manner I would definitely be interested in giving them a chance. 

Sep 29, 14 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

It’s called the “Benjamin Franklin Effect” – getting someone to do you a small favor is the way in – check it out. 

http://boldanddetermined.com/2013/12/12/the-shockingly-easy-way-to-get-people-to-do-what-you-want/

Sep 29, 14 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Since we are on the subject – just went to our community Parade of Homes – Pee-U, but I did spy a little retirement house that I thought was a solid attempt at getting it right. I wrote the builder a nice note telling him who I was for reference and gave him a 4 Star review with comments asking him to email me a site drawing – wrote back and forth a little now he wants me do his houses! Sure don’t need the work but think I will play with him a little – will be fun.

Point is – you just don’t know where things will lead – all I did was complement him and ask him to email me something – then Voila!! 

Sep 29, 14 4:13 pm  · 
 · 

well I have almost the same problem, I'm interested in some architecture small firms but I don't know how to get into, I wanna work with them, I know that I still need to improve some points like Revit as I'm working on it, but I don't get any reply when I apply for a job...Do I have to go to the office and go like face to face with the architects to start a conversation? I mean I like this Franklin Effect as Carrera mentioned,,, do I have to move to an other state like New York as I live now in Texas....do I have to get back to school and get some American courses to make my resume more shiny? I need some tips from experienced architect and how to get into the market.

Oct 2, 14 1:26 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Ahmed, there are too many factors involved to know why you are not “getting-in” To get-in you need 3 things: Creativity-Marketability-Compatibility, do you have all three? If you don’t then that’s where you work to sharpen – if you do (or when you do) it’s a matter of getting face-to-face with people commonly called “Networking”. Once you meet someone face-to-face that’s a socially accepted invitation to go further – that’s when you employ the Franklin Effect – and then Voila!!

Here is just one of many writings on tips for networking: 

http://www.entrepreneur.com/blog/223468

Oct 2, 14 10:13 am  · 
 · 
CrazyHouseCat

It sounds like you are very confident.  Your background is interesting, but I don't think it's all that intimidating.  So don't worry there.  More importantly, have you had proven success of how your law and planning background have helped your architectural practice?  You called yourself an architect, I'm assuming you are licensed?  Have you actually convinced city or interest group?  Have you had great ease getting entitlements, code variance, etc.?  Or are those still theoretical?  

I wouldn't overly emphasize your having adopted to the so called north america culture.  They should be able to realize that easily through interacting with you.  Large hubs like NY, LA, SF, has plenty of diversity, so employers don't usually hold cultural differences against capable candidates.  Comments like "I'm Chinese from China but not like lame at all" may actually rub people in the wrong way. 

I don't understand why you are worried about "when" to let them know you are looking for a job.  "smart cool deep thinking" candidates who are go-getters do not need to beat around the bush about this.  It's all about reaching alignment of yours and their interest.  And if you are a great candidate interested joining the firm, they'll take that as an compliment.

Good Luck!

Oct 2, 14 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
April14

I'm by no means registered Crazyhousecat. I'm one of the kittens still trying to get into the door here and there lol! Used to be urban designer on some awesome projects for several years, so that's helpful I suppose. Actually I was thinking that is of course, without realizing that is something not everyone gets that automatically. When I was just out of school and pissing my pants trying to find a job, someone commented that he doesn't know if I can be an architect if I have been a planner...I didn't get the logics in it...in stead I figured the guy could be nuts and that won't be an office I should be to work at. Soon I started to doubt the Creativity-Marketability-Compatibility that people can sense from me though. Any how, I do believe knowing urban planning helps architecture practice greatly, vision wise not technicality wise. For example, I once ad a weird job to make a architecture conceptual design for a really big mixed use development including site design at a hi-speed rail station plaza, do everything myself, and in a couple of weeks. I guess a fresh graduate won't be able pull that off without good understanding of sound urban development strategies?

Oct 2, 14 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
April14

by the way, I haven't heard from the principle that said I could go visit after I sent my email to set a date, um, why is that? 2006 took me only one phone call to get a job at a major firm when I know no software no design degree and has only a two page portfolio from urban design classes, and I only knew saying one thing back then: "I'm looking for a job...no no no no.... not in your Beijing office but here...yeah that's right" and why was that?

Oct 2, 14 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

One of my former partners had an urban planning minor and just cherished to do something but never got the chance. Now only in retirement he is running a community urban design studio for the AIA but its pro bono…urban design jobs are rare in architecture and mostly opportunities exists in city planning departments at low pay.  Duany Plater-Zyberk & Company, LLC. and others is the place for urban planners…what a joy to land a job in those places.

Oct 2, 14 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Don’t like that he didn’t reply, better reboot and try again. Try the Ben Franklin Effect and ask him to send you something…..tell him you are drafting an article for your Blog and ask him to send you a picture of one of his projects you are writing about and see if that reboots the conversation.

http://changingminds.org/explanations/theories/ben_franklin_effect.htm

Oct 2, 14 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
April14

Carrera, can you be any more brilliant! I do have been working on a little blog on an off for a while. Several years ago, I was making a new website for a well respected landscape architect in town(to announce to the world that he was back to work in full force).One of the requirements was to integrate all of his social media sources including a cherished blog that he writes all the time. To him, all kids in this industry should have a blog, for documentation and most importantly, it is a great way of marketing what you know and what you can do. Didn't act on it right away for I believed that if I don't understand my circumstances( which takes time) I would only write nonsense. Years later, now that my head is only half full of garbage and there's real motivation, I should continue on that. And there would be test drives of the highly recommended Ben Franklin Effect!

Oct 3, 14 4:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: