Archinect
anchor

Urban Planning vs Architectural Studies?

Jason Alexander

I a community college student who wants to get into architect, but don't know which is best for that and also want to get an M.Arch sometime in the future as well. Which degree is better for a career in architecture urban planning or architectural studies?

Sep 28, 14 4:26 pm

It doesn't hurt to know more, if you choose to go a route in urban planning, since it gives you a broader perspective of the built environment and of communities where you'll eventually be working in. Focusing on architectural studies might make you stronger in a technical sense, but in my opinion, why limit yourself? What interests and passions have you developed so far?

Sep 28, 14 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
“””1991”

Do you want to get into an architect, or an architecture program?

They're two different things, the first well....you can try getting one drunk.

Sep 28, 14 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
Jason Alexander

I want to get into either one, whichever one is a better option to get an advanced degree. I'm new to architecture so I don't really have a good sense about all this stuff. That's why I joined this forum to ask questions. To be honest I have little to no experience in drawing due to the fact that the highschool I went to didn't have any sort of drawing classes besides art, but most of the classes were ceramics and photography related. I always wanted to get into architect ever since I was a freshman in highschool.

Sep 28, 14 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Well Jason back in the last recession you could have gotten into most architects for 1/2 a 40oz. and some skittles.  Now that things are better we require at least a good meal from sizzler.  Architecture school is a little different.  For that you will need decent grades and a portfolio of creative works.  

Sep 28, 14 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
Jason Alexander

Actually I see that schools want to see some sort of drawing portfolio. As of matter of fact since I want this to happen and since I'm not planning on transferring til junior year is it possible for me to learn how to draw more and build up a portfolio in time?

Sep 28, 14 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Jason, it's rather apparent that you're not well aware of the requirements for architecture school. Best for you to contact the admin department of schools you're interested, maybe even attend an open house. Schools do require portfolios and some even ask for in-person interviews. Architecture education is very different than community college level courses.

Sep 29, 14 8:22 am  · 
 · 
“””1991”

" I want to get into either one, whichever one is a better option to get an advanced degree."

Aha! In that case the old saying "it's not what you know, but who you know" comes into play. 

Fresh out of school, I got into one of the architects at a firm I worked for. I'll forego the details, but she became very fond of me. 

Jason Alexander, I wish you luck in your endeavors. Whatever you do, make sure it's consensual. 

Sep 29, 14 10:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: