Archinect
anchor

Best States in US to practice architecture?

Archi27

Hey there everyone, first post on these forums, looking for some opinions. If this is already a topic somewhere and I missed it I apologize! OK, so I currently am in the process of finishing up IDP and looking to start taking the ARE next summer. I finished school with my M Arch roughly 2 years ago and ended up working at an architecture firm on Long Island. Thats great and all, and while I like it here and enjoy NYC from time to time, it is insanely expensive to live here and pay student loans at the same time, so I am strongly considering relocating to somewhere more affordable before I start my exams (provided I can find another job). Any suggestions as to good/affordable states for a young professional guy to start a career in architecture? I get that NYC is a great place to be an architect, and that there is a lot of opportunity here, however its extremely expensive for someone just starting out, with no license and only about 2 years of experience in the field. I am also not the biggest city person, so the idea of practicing in NYC isnt exactly my dream career. Any pointers are greatly appreciated!

Sep 26, 14 11:27 am
LITS4FormZ

Texas

Pros

Dallas, Houston, Austin are all hiring

No state income tax

Competitive salaries and overall low cost of living

Affordable housing stock

Easy to spend a long weekend in Mexico/Central America or on the east/west coasts

Easy winters

Active AIA in all major cities, seems like there are also more much opportunities to volunteer here with the abundance of religious/community organizations

One of the best states to be a single person

Live music like you wouldn't believe

Craft brewing is taken very seriously here

Cons

It's not for everyone

Soul-crushing summers

Cue haters

Sep 26, 14 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Go west.  The west is the best.  

Sep 26, 14 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

I second Texas – would add to LITS4FormZ's list that you can do projects unlicensed up to 20,000 S.F.; 2 Stories – now there is an opportunity waiting to happen. I don’t live in Texas but did business there and they always seem to get through recessions without breaking a sweat.

Sep 26, 14 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

SF has jobs, but entry level salaries means you'll likely have a lot of roommates or a brutal commute.

Sep 26, 14 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Seattle.

Sep 26, 14 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

the OC

Sep 26, 14 3:02 pm  · 
 · 

The state of delusion.

Or maybe intoxication.

Sep 26, 14 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

texas isn't really the best place to settle down and start a family, though - they have absurdly high property taxes, and the schools suck - might be great for single renters, though… plus there's the current oil boom...

austin isn't exactly cheap, either… housing prices there (in halfway decent areas) are about the same as the outer boroughs or "up-and-coming" areas of Boston.

don't move to Boston, btw - there are way too many architects here.

Sep 26, 14 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

The US is a shitty place to practice.   Go to Northern Europe.  

Sep 26, 14 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
Archi27

Thanks for the responses guys, jla-x I am sorry but I like the US too much to leave lol. As for the other responses, I have really been considering out west but I have heard mixed things about the job market out there. I am big on the outdoors and I have traveled West before and I loved it out there. Any particular states/cities that are ideal for a young architect? I primarily want to get out of the Northeast though, so Boston is a no go for me, San fran and california in general are too similar cost of living wise to NY for me also. I have heard good things about Seattle as well. I have considered Texas too but I really dont know if I could do the heat and no winter lol. Any one have any idea what its like in North Carolina? 

Sep 27, 14 2:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: