Archinect
anchor

Adaptive reuse. Ideas. Topics. Opinions.

Alma Maria

Adaptive reuse in architecture. 

Questions that could be answered.

Topics to explore.

Points that could be made.

I am currently writing my thesis, which is (obviously) about adaptive reuse.

I'd like to know what areas could be explored regarding this subject!

I have read many theses about it and many topics have been covered. I'd like to avoid just repeating the same things.

Any ideas?

Sep 25, 14 2:49 pm

I am currently writing my thesis, which is (obviously) about adaptive reuse.

I have read many theses about it and many topics have been covered.

Sounds like adaptive reuse to me ...

Sep 25, 14 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

I think sustainability is the big elephant in the room, tons of issues surrounding that which could be explored.

Sep 25, 14 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Thank you Albert Kahn!

Sep 26, 14 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
Ami Murali

Hello, I am currently working on a dissertation on adaptive re use. I am still not sure what my focus is though because the topic is so vast. Honestly, i also want to be able to cover most of the areas and not stick to one area. At the moment, i am mentioning facts,but  i need to have an analysis at the end. I think a major area in this topic would be to find out WHY exactly so many buildings have NOT been re used. 

Oct 4, 14 10:19 am  · 
 · 
jdbz
I'm reading How Buildings Learn by Stewart Brand. I'm only a few chapters in, but if you haven't read it, you may find it useful.

One reason a building might not get reused is that its "services" layer was too imbedded into the structure. All communication cabling needs to get pulled out and updated about every 7-15 yrs (according to my memory of the book as well as my experience as a project engineer for an AV integration company). Pluming gets updated. If you can't access and modify services, then the building, to most potential occupants, becomes useless.... He has many more where this came from.

Build with years down the road in mind, with the maintenance people in mind. Build with 90 deg angles. Build a building that doesn't leak, and that you know will get new skins and a couple of additions.

I'm seeing more raised floors in office spaces...not just IT rooms and command centers.
Oct 6, 14 1:48 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Often not reused because the building - for various reasons - does not meet the needs of the owner. Too small, too large, to expensive to repurpose, wrong building type, etc.
Oct 6, 14 8:28 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Not sure exactly what you are asking but your photo is very similar to the Chart House restaurant in Annapolis, Maryland, which was the Trump yacht manufacturing boatyard that changed to making PT boats during WW II before making yachts again before going out of business. Years later the building was converted to the present upscale seafood restaurant.

Oct 6, 14 8:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: