Archinect
anchor

Sell that stuff

go do it

After years of donating old stoves, cast iron sinks and other metal objects from my remodeling projects to charities, see Habitat For Humanity, I have started selling it all to a metal recycling company. I decided that the quick cash would be better than a tax deduction. Also I got to thinking about some of the stoves, ovens / ranges, refrigerators etc. being old and not very efficient as far as energy use. On this last project I sold a cast iron sink, range / oven, and a stove top attachment thingy for grilling. $40.00 for the sink and grilling thingy, and $65.00 for the range. the way I have started placing value is that this amount is equal to a tank and a half for my truck!

This can add up over the course of the year and has some environmental benefits:

1. It is still being recycled and re-used.
  2. Takes underperforming appliances out of the built environment.
  3. Can help reduce the rape of the Earth for metals and minerals from mining.
  4. Will help your life-cycle analysis, ecobalance, and cradle-to-grave analysis.

SO SELL THAT STUFF, YO!

Sep 20, 14 3:15 pm

Part 2: Buying used makes you an active recycler.

Sep 20, 14 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
My plumbers quickly took the old brass piping but left the pvc for me to clean up. Hurray for recycling.
Sep 20, 14 9:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: