Archinect
anchor

Applying: US or UK?

Flash7755

Hi guys I'm an architecture student looking to apply for top architectural undergrad universities and right now the two schools that i am deciding between are Cornell university and Bartlett UCL. I would like to hear from some expert on which one to pick assuming that i get accepted by both.

I have went to the cornell summer camp for high school students and honestly i didn't quite enjoy it as much. Why? well its because i found the cornell way of architecture way to practical for me. by this i meant that everything is some what traditional, starting with the fact that there is much more emphasis on the function, material, and ergonomics(which i know arevery important in architecture) but somewhat lacking in terms of the design (traditional/conservative yet practical yenno ) anyways i didn't enjoy this aspect of it and an architect i really look up to is Zaha with her post modernism, which i did not experience during the camp. However, UCL Bartlett is less of that and more focused on the fine art renderings, flexibility, and design of conceptual architecture while caring less about the ergonomics etc.

i totally realize this but i have always believed in the concept of becoming a wild beast (in terms of creativity/ design) and then getting tamed (then studying the rules of architecture more: setting boundaries on which design is more practical). because of this, i would prefer the choice of going to UCL for the design and then back into the US for masters in places such as Columbia etc where designs are less "imaginative." so conclusion: design --> Practical

My parents on the other hand are very against this due to the fact that apparently the UK is currently in decline. they want me to go to a top university that is also very good in arch. frankly speaking, cornell matches my parents expectations. Me on the other hand believes that UCL also matches this criterion since UCL is a top notch school with a famous architecture department.

Anyways so the message is which path should i take? Am i folly for wanting to go to UK (where according to people is deteriorating) and take a design approach to architecture first or should i consider going to the US for the fame ivy league can give me despite the fact that i don't like the approach to architecture particularly at cornell?

I would like to ask you University/Architecture gurus' opinions on which route is a better choice despite the fact that I'm favouring UCL. Thanks a lot for patiently reading this long question! Any feedbacks would be truly valuable and impacting!

Thanks again~

Sep 18, 14 3:51 pm
KaylaF

I'm not sure what your parents mean by the UK is 'currently in decline'.  Certainly not in terms of their world-class academic institutions, of which UCL just got very highly ranked ( http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/sep/16/cambridge-imperial-oxford-ucl-in-top-five-worlds-universities ), and may I add, higher than Cornell.  And also not in the job market, of which construction in particular is rebounding fairly well after the damage done by the recession.

You can still do an MArch in the states and get licensed, so if your goal is a US license, I don't see that a degree from UCL will damage your professional path.

I suppose one thing to be aware of is that UK universities don't run the way US ones do, if for any reason you aren't sure about architecture, you won't have the same flexibility of 'changing your major' or taking classes outside of your department the way you would in a US school.  If this matters to you, it's something to think about.  You also won't have the same 'college experience' as a US school- again, this is only important if it's something that matters to you. 

On the plus side, the Bartlett should be significantly cheaper than Cornell and it's a three year program instead of four, so you should really be able to save money while still earning a world class degree.

I haven't talked about the program differences because I'm not sure it matters too much at this stage.  It sounds like you know what sort of program you want, and it sounds like the Bartlett is offering it.  I just thought I'd add some other stuff that might help with your decision.

Good luck.

Sep 18, 14 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

Your parents' opinion of the UK versus US doesn't seem well-informed. America's somewhat less tepid economic recovery doesn't seem to have made it better for architects. Over the last few years several of my friends left unsatisfying positions in the US for much better architecture prospects in Asia and London. On the whole both the UK and US offer opportunity, but it won't be easy to break into the profession either way.

Really though the key is that you have to believe in what you're doing at university. It's very challenging to do well and get into the profession. If you don't like it, you'll never make it through.

If your parents are set on sending you to the US and you don't want to disagree you should look into other schools. Your impression is accurate: Cornell is well-regarded for its practical program, so if that's not your interest it won't work for you. There are plenty more theoretical schools in the US: Sci-arc, Cooper Union, Rhode Island School of Design, the Pratt Institute all take a more expressive approach to design, and offer accredited undergraduate architecture degrees. There are plenty others too.

If you do study in the US, you should consider whether you want to work there later. Getting an accredited B.Arch 5-year degree will allow you to get licensed without a master's degree. If that doesn't matter to you, you can also study at a school that offers a 4-year Bachelor of Arts (or Bachelor of Science) degree in architecture - these degrees won't be sufficient for a license in most states, but can prepare you for a Master's degree.

And to repeat: working as an architect is tough. It doesn't matter what country you are in, school is competitive and good jobs are hard to get. Make sure what you spend on school is something you or your family can easily afford or it will limit your options later.

Good luck!

Sep 18, 14 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

definitely do consider the AA; it's where Zaha Hadid studied :)

Sep 19, 14 5:59 am  · 
 · 
Flash7755

@CHI-GMP i have definitely looked into AA before i do very much like it. It is concentrated into the post-moderism/ conceptual realm of arch, which i happen to be very interested in rn. However the school only offers architecture and this is both an asset and a hindrance, to me, because it would be extremely hard for me to even touch other majors/minors... That being said i still think it's a great school and i'm applying for it for sure. Same goes for Sci-arc.

i didn't want to come off as an Zaha fanboy who wants to go crazy abstract purely for glorifying the form while discounting the function. Don't get me wrong but ergonomics is also very important to me too. I just want to move to a less mainstreams architectural direction that deals with both function and form while giving me a lot of room for practicing and learning creativity. I appreciate people like Holl and Koolhas a lot too and those people are other inspirations to me.

Thank you for your suggestions. :)

Sep 19, 14 4:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: