Archinect
anchor

What questions should I be ready to answer at an interview?

I am an recent graduate with a Masters of Architecture degree. What kind of questions should I be ready to answer and discuss? This would be for an entry level intern position.

Sep 15, 14 3:36 pm
Carrera

Jonathan, I did all the hiring and interviews for my firm – 40 year career. Understand that your hiring package is what qualifies you not the interview. If you are called for an interview they have already judged you qualified and the interview is just to see if you will fit-in. A position in architecture at any level is based on three points: Creativity-Marketability-Likeability – you need all three. Your portfolio from school will demonstrate Creativity, your cover letter needs to drive home your Marketability and the Likeability will come out at the interview.

Now at the interview they will talk about the first 2 but only to reinforce their thinking - but mainly to get you to talk. If you don’t look like you fit-in you’re not getting-in. This has become such a paramount concern of employers that you will find multiple interviews, group interviews and even sociological testing. You will get all the bull-shit questions like “Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?” but all they are doing is getting you to talk, questions like that get bull-shit answers because the content of your answer really doesn’t matter. At your entry approach it probably won’t get too deep but here are some things not to say or talk about:

Don’t talk about any difficulties you’ve had.

Never say anything negative about yourself, anybody else, or anything!

Don’t talk about what you want and are looking for, ask them what they are looking for and want and tell them how you can fit that.

Don’t talk about money until they do and never make the first offer, make them do it – its an old negotiating rule – “The first guy to state a number loses every time”.

OK to be specific about #1 & #2 but for all of the other questions that are general give general answers, don't delve.

Learn to answer hard questions with questions of your own and bounce-back the question to get it rephrased and easier to answer and more time to think.

I’ll leave you with this, even though you are just a small-fry go to the interview dressed for the part. Sit up in your chair with your hands folded on the table - show respect for them and the process and take charge of the interview by asking them questions – then fire-back with an answer on how you can supply help – like: "What kinds of building types do you guys seek looking ahead?” – then fire-back with how you could contribute. I can’t tell you how many people who I’ve interviewed just come in and plunk down in the conference room chair waiting for me to carry the day. Those that got-in fit-in by showing respect and demonstrating that they had their shit-together.

Get your shit-together and go kill!

Sep 15, 14 4:54 pm  · 
 · 

Other tips:

Don't let having a lack of experience (at least in architecture firms) deter you - you have experience doing many things: odd jobs, part time/seasonal jobs, volunteering, and, of course, your school projects.

Don't be afraid to ask good questions, just take the time to do lots of research on the firm beforehand. Don't be too general in your questions, nor don't ask questions that reading the website and/or articles would have answered: go deeper.

The "5 years question" should be fairly easy to answer, especially if the IDP/ARE/AIA thing is brought up. If fact, let the job be the opportunity to turn around your "greatest weakness." You don't have all the experience some firms are looking for, and you're still learning. The best thing is to state that you are in a continuous learning state: while willing to help teach/train your superiors!

If asked more of those general, universal questions, try to make your answers relate to your own experiences and the profession as much as possible. Tell stories, but be pithy: it should take less than two minutes to answer a question, but if they want to know more, try to get the right signals to do so. Job interviews are not necessarily about giving the RIGHT answers, but GREAT answers.

Show up a little early, but not TOO early. 10-15 minutes is ideal. Chances are, your interviewer may already be busy either interviewing somebody else, in a meeting, or even eating lunch- THEY want to feel comfortable and ready, too. And be professionally comfortable: yes, it is a serious experience, but you want to demonstrate a degree of composure that will reflect your workability.

Most of all, show enthusiasm for the job and their work! Follow up and send not only a thank-you email, but also a card through the mail! That shows extra effort that some of your contemporaries may think is beneath/past them. Those little things could make a difference! While there IS such a thing as being too nice in the process, some candidates fear stepping their bounds.

On the other hand, if you interview somewhere that you probably either don't think you have a chance at, or better/worse feel you might not to work at, even if you are offered the position. Either way, show graciousness for their time and consideration. Getting interview experience is a part of getting experience! It's all about knowing how firms work, and better yet, feeling more confident about yourself!

Sep 15, 14 7:33 pm  · 
 · 

CHI-GMP, Perfect answer to the weakness question! You got your answer in before I did. I'm also in Chicago, looking for an intern position myself.

Sep 15, 14 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
cajunarch

Show enthusiasm

Research firm - know what they do, their markets, their size, their awards, their culture

Ask questions - lots of questions - interview should be 2-way street - and ask what a successful candidate for this position would be like, and what are THEIR goals for this position - short term and long term

Make/maintain eye contact  sit respectfully

Mute/turn off your phone   If it rings during the interview you've probably sunk yourself

try to show energy and excitement about IDP and getting licensed in your future - most firms want to be invovled with peoplewith professional goals that align with their culture

Do not spend the entire interview talking about every project you did in school - for entry level, they are interested in your personality and potential, but probably not your parti diagram from 2nd year  

Google a few of the "interviewing" websites and get a handle on the typical BS questions that some firms feel forced to ask - be prepared with answers so you can conversational reply

be honest - after interviewing hundreds of candidates its fairly easy to see the common signs of dishonesty

Carrera had good advice - read his post again

And finally - be courteous/respectful to the receptionist and every other assistant and staff member you meet - We always asked our front office staff after a candidate left how they acted while waiting and you would be amazed atthe lack of manners from some

good luck !

Sep 16, 14 12:07 am  · 
 · 

I know that Carrera is speaking from a lengthy career, but I've never felt the need to modify my personality to 'fit in' to some amorphous firm identity. I'm not a drone, I'm a person. I answered my interview questions honestly. 

A good employer knows that asking 'what is your biggest weakness?' is a question that will net you very little useful information and is likely to result in a BS answer. A good employer - i.e., someone you will want to work for and from whom you can learn - will not ask you that question. An employer that is looking for a meek-minded desk slave will. 

When asked about my experience at my previous firm, I answered honestly that I enjoyed working with my colleagues and had a chance to work on a varied set of projects, but was critical with the same design process being applied over and over with only very superficial thought given to the context of the projects. When asked about my education, I was critical of the administration and organization of own institution. When asked about how I liked Toronto so far, I said it could use a lot of improvement. None of these were happy-happy 'I'm so pliable and easy to please!' answers - they were critical and realistic.

I answered this way because I don't want to work in a place where it's expected that I follow along with bullshit for the sake of fitting into a pre-existing expectation of obedience.

If you have researched the firms you are applying to you will get a good sense of whether you'd be a good fit before you even go for an interview. It's not just about an employer deciding on you - you should be deciding on them, too (especially if you're looking for a place to grow for a few years, and not just a temporary internship). 

Sep 17, 14 11:58 am  · 
 · 

Interviews are about whether or not you are personable and therefore, largely likeable and fit into the culture of the business.

People are generally only going to hire people they get along with or feel comfortable around.

That's human nature and that will always remain because people are not going to conform to inhuman nature no matter how many laws or rules because humans are humans not robots.

Stephanie, in short, people only want to or willing to work with people they feel comfortable with. Employers are people. If there is considerable personality issues, the employer is not going to employ someone they can't stand. That's the real world.

If you're likeable and personable and can generally fit in with the people and enjoy working with each other, you'll likely fit in and work well at least in the short term and possibly in the long term. 

Interviews will look at issues about if someone you intend to hire, you can stand working with even for a day or two or will that person drive you nuts and you want to strangle the person... then you might not want to hire that fellow. You are bound to find someone in the pool of applicants that you'll be happies with.

Hiring employees is as important as those you join in business partnership with.

Interviews are a personality test not determine if you qualify. If you don't qualify, they won't consider you for interview unless really desperate. If you qualify then you maybe considered in the pool to be interviewed in the first, second, third and so forth rounds of interviews. Then they'll interview as many applicants until they find the one they like and is satisfied with or quit the interview process or something. Even then, they aren't going to interview everyone that "qualifies". 

With as few job opportunities as there is in this field and as many people trying to make it in this profession, it is clear that suitable personality and impression is among what is going to get one hired. There is a lot of competitors for jobs.

Sep 18, 14 2:33 am  · 
 · 

Agreed RB - I was just saying you shouldn't fit your personality to suit your employer if it's like pushing a square peg through a round hole. Look for employers who would be a natural fit in their attitude and approach.

"Easy to work with" has many meanings - I've I take it to refer to people who are smart, can respectfully cut through crap, do their work with precision and efficiency, and have interests outside of their job. I don't take it to mean someone who is constantly bubbling with amiability and likability. 

Sep 18, 14 9:39 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Stephanie, all good points however my experience isn’t just from hiring but from marketing – these things being discussed apply to both and are principally the same thing. Your responses in your interview would be red-flags to me, not a Death Knell but red flags. You are lucky that didn’t backfire. You can examine company websites all you want but you won’t learn much of anything about who you’ll be talking to…you’ve never met the person and you can’t read their mind…add to that the fact that they don’t know you at all and have no way of putting your critical opinions in any kind of perspective - which can lead to a backfire. I once thought that it would be a good idea to be critical of my competition in some project interviews and it backfired.

I interviewed a young guy and when I asked him why he was out of work he answered by telling me that he was in a staff meeting with his boss chewing-the-crew-out over some screw-ups and when the boss asked for comments he raised his hand and told his boss that it was he, the boss, that was the problem….and got fired at 5 O’clock that night. He went on to tell me how he thought his old employer was poorly managed and how he thought things should be done….well, I ran out of red flags – smiled and showed him the door. Maybe he was right in his thinking but because I didn’t know them or him I had no idea on how to take that….all I could think is that I was going to be his next victim.

Of course the whole job search is about yourself and you should/need evaluate/interview them but that has to be kept in the background and in your head…they are the ones with the job you seek and you’re not going to get it if it doesn’t go well. When a copier guy comes in to sell me a Xerox machine should he tell me what he wants? Should he tell me how he needs the commission, be critical of the town we live in or his boss or company he works for? I’m the one that needs the copier and I could give-a-shit about all that, all I want is info on what the copier can do for me and it is that information that sells the copier. Should the copier guy think “I’m going to be myself” – if he does - nobody is going to buy Xerox. It’s not about being fake it’s about limiting your thoughts and comments to what you can do for them that gets the job.

Following Richard….I don’t advocate hiring drones but the trend today is for more drone-like behavior – maybe a better word is compliant. I don’t think the OP will face this but employers today are putting prospects through so many sieves that all that’s left are drones. 

Sep 18, 14 10:06 am  · 
 · 

Exactly....

Sep 18, 14 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

what color underwear you like.

Sep 18, 14 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Archanonymous...Your answer is in a different thread but the trend in my experience seems to be none.

Sep 18, 14 10:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: