Archinect
anchor

Best Route to Get Into Sustainable Architecture.

mmorlan

All,

I am currently an undergrad student on track to earn a B.A. in Environmental Science. I have realized too late that sustainable/green architecture and design is what I want to do. Unfortunately my school (U of Iowa) doesn't have any sort of architecture program. I am wondering what steps I should take next. I know I should try and get some sort of education in architecture. However, should I look into a B.A. or B.S. in Architecture or a Master's?

Thank you,

Matt

Sep 15, 14 11:59 am
DeTwan

Um, no. JUST NO!

Sep 15, 14 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

Once you finish your BA, if you want to become an architect, you should look into MArch programs for those with non-architectural backgrounds.  Most schools have them.  They may require an additional year/year and a half over those with architectural backgrounds. 

If you are specifically interested in sustainable architecture, then you should take your first list of schools and go through their programs for those which are specifically strong on sustainability, or that offer dual degrees (or certificates).

Good luck.

Sep 15, 14 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: