Archinect
anchor

THesis topic selection for an AUTOMOBILE SHOWROOM DESIGN

darchyneer

I want to design an AutoMObile Showroom and my emphasis is on how the interior will be arrange to facilate sales of cars. I dont know how to craft a topic at of this emphasis, so I need help. Am thinking in line of retail architecture, interior architecture but I dont know how to get a topic at of it.

After so much thought, I came up with, AUTOMOBILE SHOWROOM: EFFECTIVE CIRCULATION ENHANCES THE FUNCTIONALITY OF A RETAIL STORE

Please help a human. Thanks

Sep 14, 14 3:26 pm
chigurh

Your thesis is not a thesis:  "design a showroom to sell more cars"  solution:  "better circulation increases sales"  I don't think that works, there is much more going on economically in the sale of a car than the space involved where they are shown.  Many people just buy cars online.  Most cars are sold in outdoor lots, only a few are in showrooms. How do you factor in loans/interest/economics?  How can you test your theory in some empirical way?  You can't really, it would you just telling the jury that you think better circulation sells more cars..how, why? 

Sep 14, 14 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Don’t know if I can help with a Thesis subject, but I had a close friend that owned many dealerships and we talked about the business all the time and I learned a lot. I wonder too about the future of car showrooms, but they keep building them. Recently met the head of Chryslers dealership program, dam, I should have asked him…sounds like an interesting question, maybe that’s the Thesis. Anyway I helped a Slovak student recently with her hiring package and she had a knockout design for a dealership in her portfolio…she posted it here a while back so I guess its alright to pass it along….scroll down in it, maybe there is some inspiration there.

I’ll see if I can contact that Chrysler guy and ask him, I’d be interested to know anyway…what the future is…will pass along if successful.

Can't seem to be able to attch file, will try again tomorrow

Sep 14, 14 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i think you would want a pretty rigid and low maintenance floor surface.  i would definitely make the finish floor material the core of your argument.

Sep 14, 14 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Here is that portfolio I was refering to, not bad for a college student.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=48be233d7a&view=att&th=14817d4fe2b6cb7b&attid=0.1&disp=safe&realattid=f_hzcqtpu50&zw

Sep 15, 14 9:19 am  · 
 · 
poojapanchal

m nt able to refer this link can you please mail me

Aug 15, 17 8:46 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

So I officially have discovered the problem with people in foreign countries calling their last project in school a thesis...

A thesis in the US is like a dissertation in their country, while a final comprehensive project in their country is like a capstone in our's. At least in Bulgaria (where I'm originally from), the final project is termed (translated) - "diploma work". It's not meant to invoke any broader meaning or inquiry or provocation of thought into the course of their studies. At its core, the diploma work is a means of demonstrating what you've learned through school and unlike the education in the US, the majority of foreign programs (other than the design-focused ones in the UK and some other western countries), focus on the technical aspects of the profession resulting in final projects that are really pedestrian. 

Sep 15, 14 9:44 am  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

Not sure if this will help but take a look at BMW Welt in Munich. It's a museum and delivery centre. Not a place where you really go and buy your car, but often a pick up point for customers wanting to take in a bit of spectacle.

Buying a car is either a horrible experience for most, or a fun and exciting experience for a few. I worked at a dealership and saw how design didn't necessarily sell a car, but changed the experience. 

Loans, financing, practical stuff all play a role, but for many so does emotion. Some people are loyal to their brands and a dealership is like church. Look at how many people have a photo taken of them and the car at the time of purchase. 

I don't know if this defines you thesis. I think maybe you thesis needs to have a question and answer such regarding whether or not buildings are relevant to shopping.

Sep 25, 14 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
RemIsActuallyAnAutobot

AUTOMOBILE SHOWROOM: EFFECTIVE CIRCULATION ENHANCES THE FUNCTIONALITY OF A RETAIL STORE is not a thesis....

Sep 25, 14 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
darchyneer

@RemIsAcuatllyAnAutobot. Thank you for telling me I am on a wrong course. So Is a research based on "Sensory architecture/architecture to human senses" be a thesis whose design proposal is now an AUTOMOBILE SHOWROOM?

Sep 27, 14 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

Seems like you just want to design a building for your thesis. You started with “I want to design an xxxxx” instead of saying “I want to explore the idea of……”

Sep 29, 14 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Thought this article in Forbes was interesting and a place to start…cars being designed by customers on showroom computers and displayed on a wall 1:1 – then point and click to buy – but the showrooms seem a future reality albeit small like a Starbucks.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sarwantsingh/2014/02/05/the-future-of-car-retailing/

Sep 29, 14 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

The issue with that article I can think of.  Major manufacturer's have gotten rid of the massive storage yards (hurricanes sort of beat in why).  So they pass that on to the franchises... They are storing now instead of ordering and transporting to the dealership.  It's actually a issue now where many rent warehouses and off-site lots to store what they are forced to take. 

The other is where the money comes from.  That's the service department.  New car sales aren't the cash cow.  It's the maintenance of the cars that is.  Used car sales make more than new car sales (narrow set margins versus trade-in/lease return to resell margins).

So you might get away with a smaller showroom, but not the rest. 

Also ironic to me is Audi's new branding requires a showroom about 3 times the size of the old one.  The only way around that is to have some sort of hardship like a limited lot (which looks like what he showed).  The numbers guys reviewing the plans with Audi dictate what you have to provide or they 'punish' you in various ways regardless of sales numbers. Basically, think of them as another submittal with a harsh jurisdiction and very strict 'rules thou shall abide by'.

Sep 29, 14 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
acharianand

Dear sir/madam,,

My self is Achari.studying Post Graduation At vellore institute of technology-vellore tamilnadu ,india

Im doing Automotive Electronics ,i should have to do thesis for my 2nd year ,but im not getting any idea for project...can you suggest me

Thanks

May 25, 17 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No. Do your own damn research or change topics if it's too difficult.

May 25, 17 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: