Archinect
anchor

Fears and dilemma about leaving minimum wage design job

rednotdead

Hi all,

By this upcoming October I'll have been working for a year now in an entry level architecture intern job - a small husband and wife practice that I joined after graduating with a B. Arch. They are both professors and the firm is their side pursuit. I've been making minimum wage, and being in Orange County and their only employee, I feel like I'm getting isolated. My main supervisor is difficult to get along with, has poor design sense, and generally has managed to significantly dull interest I have in the field. 

The catch is that after 9+ months of small projects not worth mention (like decks and small additions), we are finally getting some real design work - ground up homes where we have creative leeway, and I am participating in most aspects of the projects including schematic design. 

On one hand I feel/know that I'm being taken advantage of, working minimum wage for an entire year while making their firm possible. On the other hand... I don't want to quit impulsively out of frustration and throw these chances to do real design away. I feel so isolated that I don't feel like I have good bearings by which to make a sound decision. 

So, would you guys work minimum wage if you could help design a ground up home? If you asked me a year ago when I left school, I would have shouted "Yes!". Now I'm not sure anymore.

Thanks in advance, everyone

Some additional details which might be relevant:

- A slight raise is a possibility, but I don't want to negotiate without being ready to leave if it doesn't work out. My employers are stingy with money.

- I can't compare because of my lack of experience and isolation (I don't have much a network, and my college friends didn't make it into the field) - but I feel that my bosses do a poor job running the firm, being burdened by an excessive number of other obligations. I don't know that this is a healthy experience for me. 

- I am financially stable - my parents want me to stay employed and I have no pressing need for more money at the moment. If I were to quit now, then I have enough savings that I could coast for many months even without family support (which would come into question if I left). 

Sep 14, 14 2:17 pm
gruen
I'm sure you can move on and make more money and be at a more interesting firm. But it is hard to get design opportunities. With that said, most firms and projects don't have a lot of design regardless & design is just a small component of the project anyway. (I spend all of my time communicating & design is just a portion of that.)
Sep 14, 14 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Being isolated can be a problem, I always had partners for that reason. If money is not an impediment I’d go for the small raise without being ready to jump out the window if they say no. They are not going to let you go for asking. Either way I’d stay and finish the house, having the chance to do that and hopefully get some CA experience will be great for your learning and resume. Never drift away and take a break it leaves a gap in your resume that is always hard to explain. Tough it out till you get back to doing decks then start looking out the window. Also you need to get to AIA meetings, art openings, hang out at school and mentor someone - this will build-up your contacts and confidence and get you away from the old curmudgeons.

Good luck.

Sep 14, 14 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
rednotdead

Thanks for the insights gruen and Carrera. A further question which might change things - I forgot to mention that I have also been tasked to designing a secondary dwelling unit for my parents home. Would it be "acceptable" to tell a future prospective employer that I left my current position to work on this family project for a few months? As it is, I'm already struggling to find time to do this on the side, especially when so far removed from the site. 

My guess is that it's not ideal, and would raise red flags in the mind of an interviewer. Then again, designing and building a real project on my own couldn't hurt too much could it?

Sep 14, 14 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Well, you made it sound that you were going to get a pretty full roll in the house…who else would do it? A whole custom house offers the full spectrum of disciplines SD, DD, CD, CA….what I look for are people that have played out the whole process from A to Z which in many regards is more important than just being good at one phase….its more marketable. I realize the outbuilding offers that but may be too small and hobby-like to an interviewer. If you must, then go - but I would label the experience on your resume as private practice (albeit unlicensed) and try to pick up more projects before moving to a larger firm. Another factor from a future employer is measuring how well you will fit in and I think going to work for mom & dad will isolate you even further.

Sep 14, 14 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

that sounds like a nightmare scenario, a husband and wife practice, teaching full time, running a firm on the side, paying you minimum wage...fuck that.

Time to join the big leagues, find a real job in a real office with real pay.  You don't need to be a marriage counselor for some struggling practice paying you shit money.  get out!  don't be afraid, there are better jobs out there...

Sep 14, 14 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

seems like a no brainer to me (if money is truly not a problem)

finish this upcoming project through CA, - a year or so of great experience for an intern level person,

work on IDP and exams while your at it and use your new exp in the full range to get a much better new job.  

incredible that your' only getting min. wage, but you'll be due a huge increase in a year or so

btw it is prob a good idea to get out of house design 

Sep 15, 14 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Find the next job, then move - each job is just a step to the next one (unless you find something that is perfect...)

Sep 15, 14 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

If you dislike the job and the money, leave.

If you like the future possibilities and don't need the money, stay.

The opportunities that Carrera mentioned are key. Learn what you can, get the experience you can. I envy you the position of not having money be a factor, it's rare that's the case. It gives you freedom many others don't have.

Best of luck.

Sep 15, 14 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: