Archinect
anchor

What are you doing to get a job?

MarvinOne

Here's what I've done to look for a job. Been at it for 2 1/2 years. There's more to this story, but no one wants to read my extra long post!

Mailed resumes and emailed resumes (several times, reworked each time), asked peers from across the country who are in hiring roles in their firms to review my resume/cover letter, attended AIA conventions (yes more than 1), attended seminars on job hunting for architects, asked all my former co-workers about jobs, updated my LinkedIn profile, researched job hunting articles and tips, researched resume writing/cover letter writing tips, reworked my portfolio about 100 times, joined a study group for the ARE and am taking my tests (not quite done with IDP), always carry a business card that is a mini-resume with me to hand out to new acquaintances. I am certain I don't have the best graphic design skills concerning my resume/letter/card, but they are also not terrible, just fairly simple.

I'm playing with the idea of creating a website with my portfolio, but my apprehension is that only the firms I don't care to work for will call me, this has been a majority of my past experience.

If anyone has ANY suggestions on what else to do, I'd love to hear them.  My previous experience has taught me that my great unhappiness with the management of a company I've worked for takes an emotional toll on my marriage, and I won't do that again. I need to work for a company where I share the same values and the owners/managers. I have several firms in a short amount of time on my resume, so if I can get a job, it's got to be one where I can stay and at least be content. Leaving another job so soon will be career suicide.

I can't even seem to get call backs. I'm in the Midwest, and in a smaller metro market.

Sep 12, 14 12:13 pm
shellarchitect

I'd focus on finding any job, maybe after you have completed your exams you can find a firm/manager who shares your values

Sep 12, 14 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

maybe i wasn't super helpful ......

After 2 1/2 years the most important thing it to find some useful way to fill the giant gap in your resume.  If jobs at architecture firms aren't working out look into something relevant such and contractors or Habitat for Humanity.  You need to show that your skills haven't eroded to nothing and to remove the stink of unemployment.  

Randomly sending out resumes is very unlikely to get you a job.  I was unemployed for almost two years before i presented at a pecha kucha event, within a week I had a pretty good contract  gig which lasted almost a year.  After that ended I happened to run into an old classmate and had my current job two weeks later.  The point is random applicants are just a sheet of paper, having an actual person vouch for you or even just introduce you makes you look much better to hiring personnel.

I found the book "the hidden job market" to be very helpful

Sep 12, 14 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Really 2-1/2 years you need to get ANY job. Leave architecture and don't look back.
Sep 12, 14 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
x intern

Are you in a small market?  2 and a half years seems excessive unless you are in a really bad market, did something that spread your name as someone to be avoided or there is something seriously wrong with either your resume or portfolio.  If you ended your last job in a bad way and you are in a small market you may not be able to crack back in until someone realllyyy needs people.  Firm owners talk and in a small market likely know each other at least well enough to call each other and ask about past employees.

Sep 12, 14 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

get involved in your local arch/ design community in a meaningful way. AIA conventions are meh. Do Architecture for Humanity projects or a Facades+ or a USGBC conference and actually engage with people... dont just hand out business cards. Meaningful conversations. Know new up-and-coming architects' work. Know who (locally) did what buildings. Be able to speak fluently about different aspects of the profession.

Sep 13, 14 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

I agree, 2.5 years is too long – something is wrong. How big of market are you in? How many firms are possible candidates? Did you shit-the-bed somewhere…in a small market that can be death. You may need to move or get regional and commute. Of the candidate firms how many individuals in those firms have you met face-to-face? If it’s none then you need to fix that. If it’s any or some then they may not like what they see or hear. You need 3 things to get a position: Creativity-Marketability-Likeability, do you have all three? If you don’t then there is your problem and you need to fix that with marketing and a website may be a good vehicle.

You have a young family and you shouldn’t just sit home and wait….even if you have to go out of town temporarily to get employed you need to do it for yourself and your family. I know how you feel about your job sacrificing family but your family is suffering because of your not being employed…change that right away, even if you have to go by yourself to California to get employed you’ll be in a better position to get a job back home if you are employed rather than being unemployed.

Sep 13, 14 9:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: