Archinect
anchor

Job of a Non Architect (yet)

kramit

Hi i'm sure this has been asked before but i just can't seem to find a thread about this. A little about me, I am currently going for my M.Arch degree and working with a Architect in my area, been working with him way back then when my father was working along side him as a Registered Architect. I am a general contractor and build homes on the side and do some design work too, when it comes to design, I know i can do small buildings and tons of residential design but i am not sure if i can also provide say when a client goes and gets another builder to build their home, and provide Construction Administration, and assist them with the Bidding/Negotiation process. I always do CA as a intern but within my own business, can i do that as a building designer? I've done it plenty of times so far, but i'm not sure if i'm correct as doing it full time and offering it openly... 

Thanks.

Sep 11, 14 12:13 pm
drums please, Fab?

In the situation you describe the answer is: yes!

Sep 11, 14 12:27 pm  · 
 · 

Kramit,

I'm a building designer. The answer to your question is largely, yes... in most of the states in the United States.

If you go to the state website for architectural licensing, you should find a section on the website on the statutes and administrative rules. ALL states licensing boards have a section on their website to the statutes and rules that these licensing boards are in charge of the enforcement.

You read the statutes carefully. If your state has exemptions for certain projects that does not require an architect, you'll find it.

Otherwise, you can let us know what state you are practicing in which would make quick research on your state's laws and rules, fairly quickly.

Remember, it is not where you live but where the projects are located or where you advertise or otherwise engage commercially that is the governing laws and rules. 

Sep 11, 14 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
kramit

OH, okay. I am in Austin, Texas.

Sep 11, 14 2:20 pm  · 
 · 

In short, Yes. 

Read BOTH of these:

http://www.tbae.state.tx.us/Content/documents/LawsEnforcement/ArchRequiredFlowChart.pdf

and

http://www.tbpe.state.tx.us/downloads/TBPEDiagrammatic2014.pdf

READ THEM BOTH.

This is a good place to start. Go to both these boards website and read the statutes so you know when you will need a licensed architect and when you will need an engineer. 

There is also your building codes as well.

Sep 11, 14 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
kramit

Very cool. Thanks!

Sep 11, 14 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
erojet

If you're not bothered by going abroad you could come to Germany, Architects are always needed here, especially english skills are a requirement.

Take a look. http://www.kitzig.com/en/unternehmen/aktuelle-jobs

Sep 18, 14 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: