Archinect
anchor

What kind of car should an architect drive?

wurdan freo

Poop... great truck. Looking at one right now with 200k miles on it for 14k. People I've spoken with tell me the truck will run for 500k if properly maintained. What's been your experience?

Aug 11, 16 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Wurdan, I've had it for about 13 years now and right now I've got just over 270k on it and I've never had issues with it. Changed brake lines as they rusted but that is about it. Regular maintenance that I do personally. If I could find one thats a little better shape I would get it. I'll post a pic so you can see. I've used this monster for everything. I think diesel sound is the best thing though. I would get it if I were you.

Aug 11, 16 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

an architect should not drive he / she should have a driver.

thank you

thank you very much 

Aug 11, 16 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew.Circle

1954 Ford F-100 (on the wish list). Love the curves on this baby, way better than the overcompensating, roided-out contemporary Build Ford Tough trucks. Added bonus, the matte black perfectly matches my black turtleneck, black chinos, black suitcase, black snakeskin boots, etc.

Aug 12, 16 11:49 am  · 
 · 
proto

i would like to show up to projects, interviews in a vintage porsche

this would work

or this jag

Aug 12, 16 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I've always been partial to Vintage BMWs.

Aug 12, 16 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
situationist
Who still owns cars?
Aug 13, 16 7:51 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

4 years ago I was a bus commuter while pregnant. Then I got a car. I agree with whoever said  having a paid off car is best.

Aug 13, 16 8:56 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

We've somehow got 3 cars (2 inherited). All are 15+ years old but one's a flawless black BMW Z3 convertible. Looks impressive at a glance despite costing us just $10k last year (20k miles!).

I've been a motorcycle rider for most of the last 3 decades and I can't wait to get my hands on another asap.

Aug 14, 16 1:21 am  · 
 · 
mtdew

I ride a Suzuki SV650S during the weekend. To the gym and running errands. I've a a lot of bikes, Triumph Daytona, 1979 CB750, Ducati Monster 620, CBR600, ZX7R.  I love the SV because of it's bulletproof engineering, versatility, V twin. 

We have a RX350 as the family car. Not a car to get excited about but it does everything well. At least it's black :)

Aug 15, 16 2:45 pm  · 
 · 

To get to work most days, I sport a 1979 Hawker Siddeley Canada PA3. Other days, I ride the bike I've had since I was 14--at least the frame--the rest has been slowly replaced over the years.

Only when I have to go to a meeting, do I drive--and then it's a 2005 Subaru Outback. It's practical--especially in the winter when I want to do minimal shoveling--and easy to leave items like a hard hat and rolls of drawings in the back, yet I also think it's well-designed in terms of aesthetics (especially the wrap-around windows).

Aug 15, 16 4:59 pm  · 
 · 

I can't believe the MBTA is still running those prehistoric Hawker-Siddeley trains. Those things were decrepit when I lived in Boston 16 years ago.

Aug 15, 16 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

The green line is, as my ex put it, "a sad bus on tracks"

Aug 15, 16 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
situationist

Aug 15, 16 5:45 pm  · 
 · 

2001 Pontiac Grand Am! I'm a baller.

Or I drive only to get groceries, visit family in other states, and go to job sites. Mechanically it still works great, looks okay-ish on the outside, and I'm not trying to impress the ladies so what's the point in buying a new car that is parked most of the time?

Aug 15, 16 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM
I drive a BMW 335. I really could care less what people think of it, or what image it projects. I have driven BMWs for years, because they are incredibly well engineered cars. The 3-Series has been honed to perfection. Big fan.

And the 335 is a rocket.
Aug 17, 16 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I don't think architects should drive any cars. Love bikes. Not only do cars produce greenhouse gas emitions, they also contribute to urban sprawl. So suburban of you all.

Aug 18, 16 12:20 am  · 
 · 
TIQM
Little hard for me to go to a construction site meeting 120 miles away on a bicycle.
Aug 18, 16 12:39 am  · 
 · 
greatescape

I have a daily driver 2015 BMW i8 and have a 2008 Lamborghini Murcielago that my dad passed down to me. I also have a 2004 f150 that I use for job sites that are in the middle of no where.

Aug 18, 16 3:03 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
^no private jet? How pedestrian of you.
Aug 18, 16 4:47 am  · 
 · 
A.I.

I drive a BMW 335. I really could care less what people think of it, or what image it projects. I have driven BMWs for years, because they are incredibly well engineered cars. The 3-Series has been honed to perfection. Big fan. 

And the 335 is a rocket.

+1

328 here.  Ever since they added a turbo and dropped 2 cylinders, its performance has been incredible.  Pretty sure I'll be a loyal customer for years to come.  I'll upgrade to a 335 when I can afford it.

Aug 18, 16 4:48 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Honda Fit/Civic, I'm a massive JDM fan.

Aug 18, 16 6:01 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

i plan to drive my malibu until i can get a self-driving car

side note - the woodward dream cruise is gearing up, most annoying weekend of the year for non car lovers.

Aug 18, 16 10:12 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

328 here.  Ever since they added a turbo and dropped 2 cylinders, its performance has been incredible.  Pretty sure I'll be a loyal customer for years to come.  I'll upgrade to a 335 when I can afford it.

I'm disliking my '08 BMW M3 (54k miles) most of the time.  Sensors are going bad rapidly at this point and it's regularly in the shop.  You can't get out of the shop for less than a grand (and that's not the dealership where it'd be twice that).  It's parts also have a hefty markup reflecting the brand, not the cost to produce the part.  So... I'm moving on soon.  

Aug 18, 16 10:51 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Funny how many of you believe in sustainability, boast about what car you drive, yet are inactive in your communities to promote better-planned cities and neighborhoods...

Just stating the hypocrisy...

Aug 18, 16 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I rock a 2008 toyota Yaris sedan, so... take that!

At least it's black.

Aug 18, 16 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

working towards 2015 black ford mustang

Aug 18, 16 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Not sure what you base that on bulgar

Aug 18, 16 9:02 pm  · 
 · 

Bulgar I believe in sustainability, I actively volunteer supporting transit, equitable education, and good design in my community, and I love my car. Many of my coworkers do none of those things and also drive 40-60 minutes one way to get to work, while I drive 10.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Aug 18, 16 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

bulgar I walk with my children to the park, through no sidewalk territory and get all these dirty looks from automobile people, like I'm a bad father and white trash (well I might be deep down) but I do so much walking transit I'm sustainable except when I insult people on archinect :)

I drive whatever car my wife wants to be driving at the time. a to b, who cares.

sustainable architecture is an oxymoron any if you want to be literal about bulgar, like you're being about architects and their cars.

Aug 18, 16 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I don't have a driver's license and proud of it. I don't have an excuse for bringing in carbon emissions and I am proud of it. If I have kids one day, I won't move to a suburban home because I will need to drive and contribute much more to greenhouse gas emissions than if I were to ride my bike or put my kids on a bus. 

Cars are trophy sculptures that we wave around to keep up with the Jones's. If it were purely about function, take the train or rent a car if you absolutely must; but don't own a car or show it off like bling...

Aug 18, 16 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

unless you live in Kansas bulgar, the only option is a car and renting would be dumb if you needed it everyday.

What about electric cars? (besides the whole embodied energy aspect)

Aug 18, 16 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I'm cool with electric cars. But sustainability isn't just about energy... its about the collective advantage and cultural wealth, knowledge, and tolerance toward people you obtain when living nearby others. 

Aug 18, 16 10:33 pm  · 
 · 

Bulgar, spare us your self-righteous sanctimony. Each of your future kids will add 9441 metric tons to your carbon footprint, versus about 50 metric tons for driving a 30-MPG car for ten years. If you really wanted to save the planet, you'd be better off staying child-free and buying a Toyota Camry.

Aug 18, 16 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Whatever

Aug 18, 16 11:28 pm  · 
 · 

You don't have a clue about me. I've been walking or taking public transit to work for over 20 years, and I've been forcefully advocating for public transit in my community and nationwide for about the same amount of time. You resort to name-calling because you have jack shit when it comes to credibility.

Aug 18, 16 11:36 pm  · 
 · 

And yes, I saw what you wrote before you edited it. You should've left it there for the world to see.

Aug 18, 16 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

David- That last bit I wrote (that I erased) was so low of me- that I do feel really embarrassed by it despite the anonymity. For that, I'm sincerely sorry and take responsibility for it. Not that you should care, but I took out my frustration out on you in a really disrespectful and humiliating way. I was upset, and I'm sorry for the words. I don't expect you to respond, but it would be seriously beyond anything I stand for as a person if I didn't publicly appologize to you. 

Aug 19, 16 12:30 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Note to self- don't use this forum or people on here instead of punching bags at the gym when I need to let off some steam in my personal life. Again- sorry for the words.

Aug 19, 16 12:32 am  · 
 · 

Bulgar, I appreciate the apology. I've certainly said things online that I regret. No hard feelings.

Aug 19, 16 12:38 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

I'm cool with electric cars. But sustainability isn't just about energy... its about the collective advantage and cultural wealth, knowledge, and tolerance toward people you obtain when living nearby others. 

I thought you were concerned with carbon.  Uhhhh, I'm pretty sure that IS primarily about energy.

Your theory about cultural wealth (buzzword!) doesn't really hold up.  Some pretty convincing sociological studies show that social trust tends to go down, not up, as density increases.  Particularly when density is combined with "diversity" which is so much the rage these days.  Human beings are hard wired to be at least somewhat tribal.  If you think architects or anyone else are going to change human nature, I can only wish you good luck.

Gotta go wash my Cadillac now.

Aug 19, 16 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

I've always been a fan of Mercedes, but do prefer their design from the 60s-90s. Above is my 560SEL that I purchased in my first year of architecture school ten years ago.

Aug 23, 16 1:59 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

If you're an architect, and you're not driving this to work, well, let's just say;

Aug 23, 16 7:28 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I'd like to post a picture of the beauty bike I bought today, but archinect's photo upload capabilities are stuck in 1996.  WTF.

Aug 24, 16 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

one day...

Aug 24, 16 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

driving a Volvo XC90 for 6 yrs. never failed me at work, with family, and its beautiful. I'm currently admiring the Fiat Spider Abarth on my computer screen right now :D

Sep 15, 16 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

I have this thing now instead of the old Pontiac Grand Am. I'm liking it. 2016 Toyota Prius C, because I'm saving the Earth or something.

Sep 15, 16 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Sorry... can't resist.

Sep 15, 16 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I've been tempted by this lately and trading my M3:

Sep 15, 16 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
haruki

I think the Porsche Cayman is the right car for an architect if we are talking about the car to take to job sites. It hits just the right balance as it it isn't as expensive as a 911 so clients wont think that you are too fancy,  isn't likely to be more expensive than their car, but is nice enough so that they won't think you are too downtrodden either. It isn't a commonly seen model so it has that going for it as well. 

Sep 15, 16 5:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: