Archinect
anchor

Architecture dissertation..

nikita.arora06

What you think about the role of water in architecture?

Sep 7, 14 3:07 pm
drums please, Fab?

It's necessary because when it leaks we know it's great architecture

Sep 7, 14 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
lukeggg

I really like this topic and I think there is a lot of room for exploration. There are two main subcategories as far as I am concerned when it comes to water and architecture: indoor and outdoor. There are LOTS of books on outdoor water and its use in architecture (see Water and architecture / Charles W. Moore and Aquatecture : architecture and water / Anthony Wylson). On the otherhand I have found very little information about water inside architecture. 

In particular I am very interested in:

Cooling/Humidity: see Lavin-Bernick Center (Tulane University) water wall. 

Acoustics:How moving water sounds, how water is used as an acoustic absorption device

Light/Reflections/Caustics: Still water has reflective properties, see barcelona pavilion

Sep 8, 14 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
-------

You may also find Ivan Illich's H2O and the Waters of Forgetfulness to be helpful. Other interesting references could include Lisa Heschong's Thermal Delight in Architecture, which if I recall correctly, discusses the use of water in the gardens of pleasure pavilions and Morna Livingston's Steps to Water: The Ancient Stepwells of India.

Sep 8, 14 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
“””1991”

No water, no toilets. Pretty self explanatory.

Sep 8, 14 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

There is always "Fallingwater, Leakingwater - a Retrospective" by de Neuron.

Sep 8, 14 8:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: