Archinect
anchor

Licensing in Canada

arjms

Hi 

I'm an architecture student just starting my 4th year in New Delhi, India. Our 5 year course includes 4 years of study then 36 weeks of interning (built into the course) and then our final thesis submission ( which we work on for the whole of the 8th semester).

I was wondering if i were to land an internship in Canada for my course (36 weeks) and i was willing to be registered in Canada under the IAP (5600 hours), can i start the 5600 hours when i go there to intern during my 5th year?

If there is a way, what's the procedure ?

Also any help/suggestions regarding landing an internship in Canada will be extremely helpful..

Sep 6, 14 1:16 pm
bowling_ball

You'll likely have to look at the requirements for the provinces you're interested in. Having said that,  my understanding is that you won't be eligible for registration as an intern until you have your education evaluated by the provincial board - but not until you've graduated. This all has to happen prior to recording eligible hours (which is now 3720 or something). They reduced the number of hours in exchange for only being able to record post-graduation experience. It seems a lot of people were wasting time and dropping out prior to graduation to make the administration of 5600 hours worthwhile.

If gaining experience in Canada is an option you'd like to pursue in the long run, don't get too hung up on not being able to record student co-op hours.  The experience could open doors for you later on after graduation anyway. And of course the 36 weeks you worked in Canada should count toward your co-op requirement.

Sep 6, 14 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Bowling Ball is pretty much dead on. Before being elligible for intern status in canada, your degree must be accepted. Currently, there are no schools outside on Canada, the USA, and the UK that are accredited by canadian standards therefore, if a canadian license is what you seek, you will only be able to know once you contact the CACB. I am pretty certain that you will need to complete an accredited Master's degree in order to record internship hours even with your existing degree.

Sep 6, 14 4:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: