Archinect
anchor

Another portfolio crit

spencerfried331

Archinect Community,

I have what feels like my final version of my M.Arch 1 application portfolio. It includes the work I did at UCLA's Architecture and Urban Design Jumpstart program in 2013 and then some independent fine art work. I'm looking at schools like UCLA, SCI-Arc, UMich, Pratt, GSD, and GSAPP, among others. Really, the institutions interested in the experimental and the digital/technological. Would love to get some feedback. Perhaps look at in full screen, issuu's preview kind of screws with one's line weights and such. Thanks a ton.

http://issuu.com/spencerfried331/docs/spencer_fried_final_portfolio_reduc

Sep 7, 14 3:08 pm
ROB4

Hey Spencer, 

I did ucla jumpstart as well, good luck with the app process. I will be applying to similar schools as well. 

1. the vaults look good but also very redundant. I would pick one vault unit, perhaps the one on pg 20, since it relates towards your investigative drawing.  

2. Also consider the amount of white space, most of the process work looks cluttered or crammed into one page, maybe put the serial sections as its own page. 

3. PG 13 the diagrams are hard to follow,circuitous,  remember that the reviewers only take a few minutes to glance through. 

4. The projective drawing pg 6-8 , could be limited to one, ,kind of a blah moment when you go through those in the portfolio. 

5. The sketches towards the end are very weak, maybe consider leaving them out, or redo them. 

It may seem harsh but just trying to be constructive and helpful. 

Goodluck, the rest looks pretty good. 

Sep 7, 14 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

Review threads are fine around this time but you didn't change anything based on the last bunch of suggestions. Which makes me feel like you either don't care to or choose not to heed outside feedback.

Sep 7, 14 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
spencerfried331

@bugsmetoo

My apologies, it was an accidental repost. It was my first time posting on archinect and so for some reason I thought my first post didn't make it to the forum. However, this appeared today or yesterday while the other appeared day of. Again, my apologies. I'm in school at the moment taking 4 classes. It was not meant to be a review thread. It is simply an accidental repost. Don't worry, I will heed your feedback and be back with another version possibly soon. 

Sep 7, 14 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
spencerfried331

*taking 4 classes and without a ton of time at the moment to tend to my portfolio edits

Sep 7, 14 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

No need to apologize to me. I want you to do well on this stuff and get into where you want to go. 

Sep 7, 14 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
subgenius

2D portfolios are pedantic my friend. You should submit a half burn piece of wood with termite damage or a rusty nail or clean cocktail napkin. Then do an assumptive close at the personal interview while obsessively using hand sanitizer. Ultimately you will get what you let them give you.

Sep 8, 14 8:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: