Archinect
anchor

Need advice; I'm hitting a glass ceiling

Need some advice please. At the start of a project I am on I was labeled the "project manager" I currently have 10+ years experience in an architecture firm . My duties I feel are not those. The Senior project manager has been the one with the client relations / setting up all the meetings / getting all the right people together / scheduling / proposal / budgeting and what I do is the coordination of the deliverables as well as attend meetings. 

Today I was challenged by my boss on who is the real project manager. It seems like I only do the internal items. Tell me  what do you think my real job description is ?? 

Sep 2, 14 8:47 pm
legopiece

What do you mean labeled? get it in writing otherwise it doesn't mean anything to be "labeled".  Ask for a raise while you are at it.

Sep 2, 14 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

I've always found project manager to be a rather elastic title.

what kind of challenge?

Sep 2, 14 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

It doesn't really matter what WE think your real job description is -- it only matters what your supervisor thinks it is.  SPM always trumps PM.

What you need to do is sit with your boss, respectfully ask for meaningful clarification of your role (in writing if possible) and then, if that is not acceptable to you, negotiate more authority and responsibility. Your only other real choice is to leave the firm.

Having said that, if this is a project of any significant size, then "coordination of the deliverables" can be a pretty big (and important) job and a role that is not inconsistent with the title of Project Manager.

Sep 2, 14 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
What quizzical said, but in my experience you are performing the "project architect" role, which goes by many names depending on the firm. And yes, it is an important role
Sep 3, 14 7:36 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Are you new to the firm?  

Sep 3, 14 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Your responsibilities sound like you're a Job Captain, not a PM. Doesn't sound like you're filling the role of PA either, unless you're doing a lot of design detailing and technical stuff like code analysis. If there's a senior PM on the job, you're not going to be in a lead project management role, regardless of what your job title is. That's just how it goes, and has nothing to do with "glass ceilings." It has more to do with there being only one PM on a job, and the most senior person is it.

Sep 3, 14 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

I never understood the corporate world concept of titles and the importance put on them. I realize there is a need for structure and organization, but to what end?

What a stifling environment to be in where your ability to complete a task is trumped by your title and related job responsibilities defined by said title.  Then you factor in the fact that all the upper-ups are a bunch of paper pushing do-nothings, sounds horrible.  

Sep 3, 14 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Beatriz-reyes, what “Glass Ceiling”? In firms today you assemble teams to get projects done. One project you may be X and on the next one Y. I have a good friend that is unlicensed and has 30 years of experience and still calls himself a “CAD-Jockey”…but on a recent chase for a project the firm gave him the title “Chef Designer” to get the job.

“Glass Ceiling” implies that you have reached the end of the road in advancement in your career. What you describe sounds more project specific and does not apply to the term. There has to be hierarchy in every project delivery or there would be chaos. It sounds like you have one Hell of a role in the project, embrace it as an opportunity to prove that you can do more and be more in the future.

Sep 3, 14 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

If your boss doesn't know what your job is, I can imagine there are more problems than who gets what title. 

Sep 3, 14 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Good description of this profession:  A glass ceiling over a bottomless pit.

Sep 3, 14 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

yes, but the detailing is impeccable.

Sep 3, 14 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Two flaws I  your thinking--

1.you care about your 'title.'

2. you seem to aspire to 'manage.'

Sep 4, 14 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: