Archinect
anchor

How to start a Design Project

blanket statements

Hi All,

A friend of mine has asked me to help out with the renovation of a villa. This is the first project I will be taking on all by myself. I'm beginning to second guess myself and am indecisive on how to start. I was thinking about going through a questionnaire first to figure out the style, look, and how the spaces will be used. Just curious how you guys start up a freelance project for friends.

Thanks

Sep 2, 14 4:16 pm
chigurh

If you are adding space, better start with some zoning research:  max height, setbacks, FAR. Then get a program or develop one with your friend and design. Also look into whether or not you will have to submit for any design review to an HOA or any other non-governmental agency and verify the specific guidelines and regulations.  

Sep 2, 14 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
x intern

If you don't even know how to start what makes you feel you are qualified to do a project on your own?  Not trying to be nasty just curious.  I would start how chigurh suggested then a quick rough look at budget (can they afford design, construction  fees ect) you start with feasibility then move into design. If the city won't allow it or they don't have the money you're on a fools errand from the start.  

Sep 2, 14 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Its a friend now and it will not be if you decide to do this. 

Sep 2, 14 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Babablacksheep270, the difficulty many on here have with starting a design is that most think that starting to draw something is the first step, when it isn’t. It sounds to me that you don’t yet understand what the design problem is, or not enough so to start drawing anything. The drawn design is the solution to the design problem (also called program) and you need to OCD on the design problem first - then the design will flow out to of your sleeve.

To create a useful program you need to know what the problems are and that process is called “Problem Seeking”. There is short Bible on it called ”Problem Seeking” by William Pena that every architect should have, but for a Villa for a friend simply get some index cards and title them - Goals - Facts - Concepts – Needs. Post them on a wall and then sit with your friend in front of that wall and explore every thought possible about the proposed project (Brainstorming). All the zoning and code issues mentioned above are facts - mark up cards with these issues: “Side yard setback – 10 feet” (which is a fact) – post it below Facts; “Build for $40,000.” (This is a Goal) – post it below Goals; “Should have a ½ bath” (this is a Need) – post it below Needs; “Single story” (this is a Concept) – post below Concepts. The result will be a wall full of problems that with study will enable you to State-The-Problem = Program – Then you start to draw. I used the cards all the way through DD’s to check that I was on-path. The design will flow out of the problems you seek.

It’s fun and easy to do and it is a way of getting clients involved and insures that they understand where your design came from and getting them to buy-in to it.

Sep 2, 14 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
Menona

Talk Money FIRST.

Get it all IN WRITING.

How much do they want to spend on the project?

How much do they want to pay you for your work.

Answer these questions and only then begin

Sep 2, 14 7:33 pm  · 
 · 

So what year are you in at which fabulous school that has completely failed to prepare you for actual work?

Sep 2, 14 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
jdparnell1218

hahahahaha - Miles has it.

How is it you feel confident enough to take on a project like this on your own but have no idea where to start?

Sep 3, 14 9:30 am  · 
 · 
blanket statements

Ahh silly jaded Miles :)

Sep 25, 14 11:51 am  · 
 · 
blanket statements

Thanks for the great response Carrera!!! The project is in China where many of the similar zoning laws and regulations do not apply. My friend is a building developer and recently purchased this villa, and wishes to basically flip the house so there isn't a client per se. I graduated with an architecture degree but have been doing Retail and Store design for the past 6 years. Thank you Carrera once again for the time and patience to lend a hand!

Sep 25, 14 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

You’re welcome

Sep 26, 14 8:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: