Archinect
anchor

Harvard GSD MLA portfolio material?

9093bsbk

Hello Archinect,

I am in my last year of studies of my BLA. I am applying for my Masters in Landscape Architecture (MLA) Degree within the coming months, and among my top selections of potential schools is the Harvard Graduate School of Design.

To anybody who either has studied at the GSD, or has applied for an MLA in the past, I would love to ask a couple of questions about application portfolio material.

1. Student Work

I have a body of work that I built over the past three years that I have used to build my current portfolio. Based on the caliber of GSD student work that I have seen, my work is indefinitely not as sophisticated. Where I study, learning how to use rendering software is an entirely self-guided process, so at this point my work is a mixture of hand renderings and photoshop work (plans, sections, photomontages/perspectives, etc.)

In regards to subject matter, my best work I want to include in my portfolio covers the topics of parklet design, gravel pit rehabilitation, landfill reclamation, and visual representation.

What I would basically like to know is the level of sophistication of previous student work required by the GSD in order to be considered. I can indefinitely go back and refine my work, but I would like to have an idea of how intensively I should go about doing that.

2. Professional Work

I have just completed an internship where I was able to participate in master planning, graphic representation, mapping, and contract administration. I built quite a body of work through this experience and produced alot of graphics. 

My one concern with this is that the conceptual ideas behind my work belong to the principles of the firm, and are not my own. The graphics themselves were done by me, but I had nothing to do with the designs behind them. Are these still suitable to include in a portfolio? The rendering quality (since the internship was quite intensive, therefore allowing me to become proficient at drafting and rendering software) is more sophisticated than that of my student work.

3. Undergraduate Thesis/Upcoming Design Projects

By the time the application deadline rolls around, I will have completed a written thesis (topic TBD). How it works in the program I am in is that one semester is a written thesis, and the next semester is a design thesis. Is the written thesis enough to put into a portfolio, even if there is no comprehensive design to accompany it? 

On top of thesis, I will be completing a design project in my core studio course, which I endeavor to make a strong portfolio piece.

I would love to know your thoughts. Thanks, and hope to hear from you all soon.

Sep 2, 14 1:34 am
bugsmetoo

I'm speaking from a general view.

1. At this point, I think you should just stick to whatever you have and focus on cohesion. Flashy images oftentimes cover emptiness and thoughtlessness so even if your things look a bit rudimentary and handmade, the actual design aspect can stand out on its own. If anything, schools should be ripping apart renderings in favor of students that actually understand design and have a solid grasp on problem-solving. Reviewers should be able to tell apart someone who has room to grow from another already at their peak and just coasting on the trends. But should is ideal speak.

2. Attribute correctly. Don't claim more, don't show too much if your role was insignificant. Life lesson in general.

3. Can you not put time towards forming a comprehensive design? Seems like you have a lot of time left but no real direction in mind. At a point, you'll have to decide whether you believe in your own work and think the assembled body of work is a fine representation of your present, still developing self.

The general reaction after looking at others' works is to mimic or adopt styles or ideas, berating your own work as inferior and downplaying your own skills. But design is iterative and some people simply are at a more advanced point in their education and there are many others below you who are just as apprehensive about their own chances. Take this as the first time you have full total control over what a client (reviewer) sees. What should the ultimate takeaway be? What do you want it to be?

It's not a big deal to get rejected. It is a big deal if you can't stand by your own work regardless of perceived comparative quality.

Sep 2, 14 5:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: