Archinect
anchor

Trouble at Atlantic Yards

NJ11
Construction Is Shut Down at Atlantic Yards Complex
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/08/29/nyregion/construction-is-shut-down-at-atlantic-yards-complex.html?referrer=

Aug 31, 14 9:18 pm
Carrera

It is sad to see but it sounds like the concept failed to work as estimated and FS is going to have to cut its losses and finish conventionally. The process of construction hasn’t changed in over a 100 years and it needs to change, particularly in housing. This failure sets it back. Terrible news.

Aug 31, 14 10:17 pm  · 
 · 

In a false economy everything is based on financial profit.

Aug 31, 14 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Interesting words Miles. What’s missing in the story is the role of the bankers in all this; they are most certainly turning-the-screws. The “Banksters” have successfully enslaved-by-debt everything from nations, entire industries, all government and nearly every person on the planet. I can see now in the story that Atlantic Yards is just another one of their playgrounds.

There is a recent thread on architects doing more writing…try writing a piece on how the Banksters and their Central Bank controls architecture…then see how fast and deep they bury the story in a salt mine. We are all slaves to the False Economy and architects are not exempt. They see our work and ideas as amusement…if they can’t see how our ideas make them money they hit “delete”.

I suppose it is all too easy to be cynical about all this but in some measure architects can lead the charge to combat the “delete” - by finding ways to turn our ideas, good design and sustainability into a way for them to make money –Trick them into doing it, they’re tricking us. I wonder what would happen if it was an architect that was the developer at Atlantic yards.

“Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth” – Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 1, 14 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

doesn't sound like an actual "referendum" on pre-fab or modular or whatever. sounds a lot more like skanska negotiated a price during a deep recession and can't hit that target right now, especially considering how hot the market is overall and how expensive labor's gotten over the past year. finding and keeping quality subs right now is a way overlooked issue. my guess is skanska was trying to pass those cost increases along and the developer wasn't biting (probably, if they did, their proformas would be blown to hell). this isn't the only project in a similar situation...

Sep 1, 14 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

pleasantly surprised that they are not somehow blaming it (ie: cost over-runs/delays) on unions...

Sep 4, 14 8:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: