Archinect
anchor

Compass/Speed bow question

mindzipper

I don't know if this is the right place, but I need some advice.

I do wood carving (specifically it's called chip carving). this requires a substantial amount of time spent drawing patterns to carve.

I have a very cheezy compass I picked up for around 14 bucks. But I'm in the market for a professional level version, but more importantly I'd like to get a speed bow also because some work requires large circles.

Does anyone have experience with this and would have advice on what to buy?

the main problem i have is finding one that allows clipping in a mechanical pencil. i hate those tiny leads, and they go dull too quickly. i have several very nice Rotring mech pencils. so i'd like to use those. i know some units have clips that allow the use of either the leads, or this type of pencil.

Anyone got suggestions? i looked on Amazon but frankly you can't see the quality of the equipment in photos.

Thanks!

PS the only thing I can find close is this, but i don't believe it allows a mechanical pencil to be used.

Aug 28, 14 11:37 am
gwharton

The kit in the picture includes a clip by which you can use any pencil or pen with the compasses. It's the little thing in the middle on the far left.

Aug 28, 14 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I have a staedler speed bow with a clamp that works great. You will probably have to cruise ebay or amazon for used drafting tools if you want something durable and high-quality.

Aug 28, 14 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

Not sure why you wouldn't just make a tool to do the job. A stick, a pin and a pencil, not exactly rocket science. 

Aug 29, 14 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

Are we sure that "speed bow" isn't just an Alvin brand name? I always thought that you had your choice between a bow compass and a beam compass.

I dig old drafting tools - I have a couple of  old German "Birk" brand compasses which I wish that I had a reason to use - so I would be happy to learn more about the terminology if I'm wrong. I bought good compasses because they are beautiful, though. They weren't a practical purchase.

Miles is right, OP, you don't need anything fancy, and the extender arm for a bow compass is pretty clunky. You should be able to rig up something easily. I think that Miles is suggesting a homemade beam compass, but a pin, a string, and a pencil should work well too.

Aren't there carving websites out there with discussion forums?

Aug 29, 14 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Homemade beam compass for the win.

Aug 29, 14 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I second miles and gwharton. if you are a woodworker you should make a good industrial-quality tool that is exactly what you want.

anonitect - I am not sure about "Speed bow" being a brand name or not??

I have a Dietzgen set that was my grandfather's and then my father's (naval architect and journeyman carpenter, respectively) and I am pretty into old drafting tools also. Would love to know if you find out.

My Dietzgen set has a beam-type thing that fastens to the pen-slot of the bow compass for drawing really large circles. I am not sure what the correct technical term for it would be.

Aug 29, 14 7:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: