Archinect
anchor

Portfolio advice needed: content

bandpass

I'm not happy with the work I did in school. When I see other people's portfolios I feel like my work is not as good as theirs.

A good portfolio should show your best work. If you know your work isn't that good but it's crucial to include it (some places ask for most recent academic work). Is it still a good idea to put them in anyway?

Aug 27, 14 11:45 pm
Vizious

Showing your best work is right, if you don't have enough 'good' projects I would recommend you redo some of them. Maybe get some one you trust to review your work and give you an honest opinion, if they truly are weak I would avoid including them in any portfolio/work samples/ website that you plan to use for seeking employment. 

Some people are ok seeing a development of your skills, but in my opinion employers are mostly interested in seeing your best work and where you are now. 

Aug 28, 14 12:24 am  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

Redo them. You're not static, you don't remain a student forever, and your projects do not have to be authentic to some time in the past no one cares to ask about. Nothing a budding professional does is sacrosanct.

Aug 28, 14 1:58 am  · 
 · 
subgenius

Don't worry about it. Firms are going to hire you to do intern work, not be their designer. 

The level of your portfolio should not exceed your actual skill set because your job performance would be a disappointment. The key to being a successful architect is to have expectations always be lower than performance....promise less than you actually deliver and you will find success.

Aug 28, 14 9:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: