Archinect
anchor

Job Search advice - Sending selected works vs sending entire portfolio

Hello All,

I am finishing up my portfolio in Indesign and I have file compression problems. I've tried every setting I know (resample jpegs down, limit backward compatibility, compress linework) and I can't get even close to a 10mb file size for email without ruining my renderings. Someone told me that I really will only get 30 seconds of an employers' time for the initial review, so I should send my two best projects at better image quality. I feel doing this may give a potential employer the impression that I haven't produced much quality work. Any advice? 

Aug 26, 14 10:58 am
SpatialSojourner

I don't think there is a correct answer.  In the past I've sent either work samples or full portfolio based on which one I felt was up to date/ stronger.  I've seen interviews where the interviewer has said that the person should have sent their full portfolio instead of work samples because it was a lot stronger and vice versa. Potentially you could attach work samples in the email but then provide a link to issuu with your full portfolio?

Aug 26, 14 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Send a hard-bound copy through courier then follow up with a phone call. Most offices get hundreds of email portfolios per week.

Aug 26, 14 11:36 am  · 
 · 

Thanks for the advice! I'm planning on printing hard copies through Lulu or Blurb to send out, so I'm saving a full-resolution InDesign document for that. I has taken a lot of tweaking of individual components, but I think I will be able to get my email version under 10 mb without sacrificing the render quality too much. The bytes are hiding everywhere if you look.

Aug 26, 14 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

3~4 page 'work highlights sample' (cheaper to print, easier to review), CV, cover letter via email and by snail mail (when not explicitly discouraged by firm).  Full portfolio via mail if requested - though in general I attached a return envelope or requested it be returned at the interview (a few places asked if they could keep it). 

Work sample showed best images and covering all the 'skill set' - For lower level jobs I usually did one or 2 projects, one sheet of construction details, and one of misc related work (photography, sketches, diagrams, renderings.

I always liked hand bound portfolios, and they were a conversation piece about craft, but it can be costly to send them out everywhere.

Aug 26, 14 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: