Archinect
anchor

Computer for school help

kprochnau

I am starting in my first year of undergrad this fall and am looking for advice on the type of computer to buy. I asked my school and because they have labs (PC) that are open 24/7 that have all the programs we will need they did not really have any suggestions. However I am living off campus so I will not be able to have access to the labs at all times. I am looking for a computer, or combination thereof, that i can use at home on projects if I cannot get to the labs but that is also easily portable to take to and from class  and will preform for the next 4 years.   My budget is  around  $2000.  I know next to nothing about computers  so if anyone can point my in the direction of good, basic sources of information that would be awesome. 

Aug 23, 14 1:45 pm
apapaz
Look at lonovos
Aug 23, 14 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
“””1991”

There's no point in buying an expensive computer your first year. You most likely won't even use it. By the time you get to your final years you'll find it will no longer perform adequately. 

Aug 23, 14 3:01 pm  · 
 · 

Once you get heavy into your studio I can safely say that you shouldn't be spending a whole lot of time at your home.  For your first laptop I recommend trying to keep things under $1000, and use it for taking notes, writing, etc. very light tasks.  Use the lab computers as much as you can, then when the time comes do some research and build your own studio rig.  A laptop won't stay relevant very long with any design, graphics, modeling programs, so just use lab computers.

Aug 23, 14 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

You should use the labs as much as possible. Not only are they going to be much better workstations, you will be around others which will keep you on task and give you resources if you get stuck. You can always lean over and ask a 3rd or 4th year student for help when you are in the lab. At your apartment you are much more likely to go crack a beer. 

If you want a laptop that can do a little architecture work on the side, keep an eye out on NewEgg or Costco.com or Amazon.com for a Windows laptop with an Intel i7, at least 12 gb of RAM, and discreet graphics. Check those boxes and the computer will mostly do what you want. You would have to spend a ton of money to get a truly "good" mobile workstation for architecture.

Aug 23, 14 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
leriot

I can recommend the laptop that I was using for 2 years already - Asus n56vz
That's not the newest model, but its performance is quite good for architecture, both for 2D and 3D. Two major minuses are the weight and only 3 hours without charging. It costs about $1300 in the US, I think.

Aug 23, 14 4:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: