Archinect
anchor

What are your thoughts on unpaid internships?

_wander

Would love to hear from both a student and employer perspective.  I'm referring to internships in a general sense of small summer/ part time internships that students do, not necessarily through IDP. 

Specifically:

1. do you think unpaid internships are a good way to gain experience/ get your foot in the door? 

2. would you list an unpaid internship on your resume?

3. if you're an employer, how do you view unpaid interns?

4. and/or any other thoughts you would like to share?

Aug 22, 14 5:39 am
Non Sequitur

never.work.for.free

Aug 22, 14 6:42 am  · 
 · 
jdparnell1218

You should be paid for labor, regardless of if you are earning credits towards your degree or not.

1. No, paid internships are illegal.  If you hear of firms that offer unpaid internships, you should report that employer to NCARB.

2. No, because you shouldn't ever take an unpaid position, ever.

3. The firm I work for pays its academic interns a pretty fair wage.

4. See comment number 1.

Aug 22, 14 8:58 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

I think Non Sequitur/jdparnell1218 have it correct here, case closed.

I don’t know about Non Sequitur or jdparnell1218 but I am an employer (former) and while I would never propose not paying someone for work I have taken students with me to interviews and design presentations but even then I bought them dinner. I don’t see a problem with hanging-out and observing on your own time, but I wouldn’t even pick-up a waste basket in return.

Aug 22, 14 9:23 am  · 
 · 

AIA and ALA should offer rewards to people who turn in and help stamp out this criminal behavior.  Do not mention this on your resume. send me the add and I will personally take this to the state registration boards, I hate hate hate this and these so-called professionals deserve to lose their firms. We will all be better off with out them.

However sometimes people confuse illegal labor practices at a for profit company with a legitimate non for profit, think habitat for humanity.

You have to be very careful who you work for, also illegal in most northern states and some of the south is the 1-3 month trial period before you are brought on to the payroll, this is also a scam.

The economy is much better off now and lots of firms are looking for people some experienced some not so much. Starting your career in such a shady and self destructive way will not help you any now or down the road.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Aug 22, 14 9:44 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

"also illegal in most northern states and some of the south is the 1-3 month trial period before you are brought on to the payroll, this is also a scam"

Do you have any sources for this? I am interested in learning more.

Aug 22, 14 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

if someone asks you to work for free, tell them this "suck my balls"

Aug 22, 14 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

If it is a week long or less and doesn't involve doing tasks ordinarily done and performed by employees of the firm, then perhaps okay. It is against federal law for employers to not pay interns because they are employees if the interns are performing work that is performed by employees of the firm. Basically, if an employer is unpaid internship "get around" hiring employees to do work customarily would be performed by paid employees just to "save a few bucks".... it is illegal.

I'd say, if you are doing some kind of work experience for credit for a term, maybe a semester but longer than that and when you no longer will get academic credit for it.... you should be paid at that point on. 

Don't let sleezy employers get away with illegal employment practices which amounts indentured servitude which is for the most part illegal in the U.S. along with slavery.

Good, ethical employers will pay you.

Aug 22, 14 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
hys1989

EXPLOITATION

Aug 22, 14 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
_wander

thanks for the opinions guys.  It's for the city-- does this change anything?  not a for-profit business.  I'm not sure if I can get academic credit for it, but would this be a good thing to do?

Aug 23, 14 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

_wander, City? That changes it alot. let me chime-in again and say based on what I’m hearing….if at this stage of your life you are still learning and if you don’t need the money I would perhaps look at it as an extension of your learning and take advantage of the opportunity for learning and getting yourself out into the world.

This idea that I have heard often that we need to get paid every time we fart is ideological and nonsensical. This proposed venture is not about the rest of your life it’s just a vignette in learning and perhaps should be embraced.

I am soon to post a thread about why we shouldn’t be turning away small things. I think that this is a small thing and you should not be deterred as it being someone trying to burn you. Cities don’t have budgets to bring in fresh ideas and perhaps you should look at it as not only a way of learning but a way of contributing to your community.

Aug 23, 14 8:50 pm  · 
 · 

Non-profit makes a big difference and that is what government is, basically. I can understand volunteering or pro bono work in that regard. 

I would only give away work for a for-profit under extraordinary circumstances. After all, if I am investing months to years of my life to not get paid doing free work... that would be plainly stupid. If someone wants me to work for them for more than a month (part-time) or it requires me to move then hell no, I am not going to do it. I'm going to need money to move. I'm going to need money to pay rent wherever I move. If I don't have to move, then I may consider it depending provided it isn't a full-time job because it shouldn't be full-time because otherwise, it prevents me from working a full-time job to pay the bills. If it's full-time, nothing more than two weeks because it would impede on being able to work a regular job.

That is just the way it is. I have to have time so I can work a regular job. That is pretty much the way it is for everyone not currently in college WITH financial aid and student loans/scholarships/grants (during the school terms enrolled in class not summer break).

Aug 23, 14 9:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: