Archinect
anchor

Help finding a technical term

Bench

Hi Folks,

I'm hoping someone here can help me out. Quite a while back, there was a thread one here discussing movement, and someone posted about the perception that one gets when taking a long-distance train trip. It was specifically about the lack of acknowledgement one might get when stepping onto a tube (train), travelling a few hundred miles and then stepping off, giving a compacting idea to our notions of real distance in the world. (IE, that trip from NYC to Boston doesn't really feel all that far, even though it is).

They threw out a technical term that I found really interesting, but now slips my mind. Anyone have any clue what I'm talking about?

Cheers in advance.

Aug 20, 14 9:12 pm
x-jla

Cognitive distance? 

Aug 20, 14 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Much appreciated jla-x, that is exactly the term i was looking for

Aug 21, 14 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Bench

And on a sidenote - does anyone here know of any architectural/design readings related to this?

Aug 21, 14 11:45 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

cant recall specifically...but you may want to read  (Census, Map, Museum by Benedict Anderson)  its somewhat related to this idea of cognitive distance...you will have to draw the lines of connection though. 

Aug 21, 14 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

The map part specifically.....

Aug 21, 14 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: