Archinect
anchor

Architecture and Structural Engineering

hrizgallah

Is it possible to do an undergraduate degree programme in Architecture then do a masters in Structural Engineering

Aug 18, 14 2:11 pm
Non Sequitur

I think you have it the wrong way around.

Aug 18, 14 2:14 pm  · 
 · 

Look at the school programs. It would be easier to possibly do a B.S. in Structural Engineering or possible Civil Engineering and then do a 3 yr. M.Arch with possibly a co-major in Structural engineering at a Master's level. Depends on the schools you attend and the offering.

If you find a qualified accredited school offering a B.S. in Structural engineering... do that and then M.Arch (3+ year professional program for those with a bachelor's degree not in Architecture)

I don't know about schools offering Masters in Structural engineering without requiring a B.S. in Civil Engineering. However, a B.S. in Engineering (structural) and going into an M.Arch.... sure.

Talk to the schools themselves about their programs and put the information together. One, you'll have the most current and up to date information about the programs by talking to the people running those programs directly....not someone who might ave been able to do it 10-15 years ago. It doesn't mean that can be done today. 

I believe it should be able to be done but if you do the leg work, you'll know.

Aug 18, 14 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
apapaz
Uiuc michigan and berkley have a structures option and joint programs in their graduate school
Aug 18, 14 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

no, if you don't have a BSCE, you will never have the math/physics background to pull it off.

Aug 18, 14 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
apapaz
My at this last year got his bachelors of science in architecture and then his masters of architecture from uiuc with a focus in structures and now works as a structural engineer
Aug 18, 14 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
apapaz
Sorry, TA*
Aug 18, 14 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Or get a  BS in architectural/engineering degree... 5 years then you can get both licenses.

Aug 18, 14 3:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: