Archinect
anchor

Architectural Term required??

Mikey_G

Hi All,

I am looking to design my future house. I want to have to main single-storey buildings connected. The first building area is a living space (kitchen, sitting-room, etc) The second will be the living space (bedrooms, toilet,etc..) 

What is the architectural term for this idea so I can do further research??

I have scoured the internet numerous times & can't find it.. any help would be appreciated..

Regards

Mike

Aug 15, 14 6:50 am
Mikey_G

Each building will be perpendicular to each other to maximize solar gain & both will be a lean too roof. 

I have already done a site visit to an existing house built 15 years ago.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=16ll01z&s=8#.U-3nwvldXTo

Aug 15, 14 7:02 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The term is not important. Just hire a local architect and tell them what you want.

Aug 15, 14 8:35 am  · 
 · 
subgenius

I believe the term is "house" .

Aug 15, 14 8:37 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

I can’t really see what you are doing but the term that I think applies is “Hyphen” coined by Thomas Jefferson describing the built connectors between his collection of building elements at Monticello. It’s a hallmark of mine so I’ll have to charge you a royalty to use it.

Aug 15, 14 9:08 am  · 
 · 
Mikey_G

Thank you for your comments, However its not the same as a normal "House", It has nearly twice the wall perimeter also it has a lean to roof instead of a double pitch minimizing the span.

Another forum suggested "dogtrot", & that's an indication of a layout (Living V Sleep) & design I wish to pursueHowever dogtrot is primarily for warm climates. 

I would like to know alot more into the single biggest expensive of my life, & have maximum input & knowledge on what I will be living in for the rest of my life. 

The L shaped building also provides a suntrap in the evenings in a climate that is normally wet & cold..

Regards..

Aug 15, 14 9:41 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Still just a house MikeyG

Aug 15, 14 9:53 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

Maybe instead of 'normal house' you could call it a 'special house'

I would refer to a 'donut' house as a courtyard house.  I think L-shape house is also a pretty good term. 

In new England they had things sometimes called 'connecting barns' so they could milk cows easier when it's cold. Maybe that's similar to what you're talking about.   There is a thing sometimes called a 'mother in law house' that is sort of a connected living unit.  Other than that, there may not be a common term, because it may be an pretty bad idea.

Aug 15, 14 10:21 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Curt, I know of those in-law suites as grany-flats

Aug 15, 14 10:33 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Have you considered the suns azimuth and elevation... "perpendicular" is almost certainly not the most efficient  orientation to maximize solar gain.  

Aug 15, 14 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
Dude, you need to hire a designer. Many of us here can give you hourly rates.
Aug 15, 14 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

In the wilds of Alaska they always made sure the buildings were NOT connected - in case of fire in the winter the family would have some place safe to go to. If you are housing your mother-in-law you might also want to make sure the buildings are not connected.

Aug 16, 14 10:52 am  · 
 · 
gruen
L shaped ranch? Known also as a rambler in some parts of the us.
Aug 16, 14 6:38 pm  · 
 · 

I would like to know alot more into the single biggest expensive of my life, & have maximum input & knowledge on what I will be living in for the rest of my life. 

But not worth hiring a professional ... LOL.

Aspiring architects should pay close attention.

Aug 16, 14 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i think the point of a mother-in-law suite is to make sure the lock is on the right side of the door

Aug 16, 14 9:12 pm  · 
 · 

Exactly, Miles! He knows how important an impact this house will have on his life, but he is absolutely certain he can do it on his own.

Which he totally can.  His house, his way.  But he *also* wants the advice of professionals who have devoted their lives to learning this knowledge in hopes of being paid for that expertise, as long as he doesn't have to pay for it, actually.

Original Poster: What is your profession? And what are you willing to give away free to strangers on the internet? I donate a LOT of my time and knowledge in my own community, with people and groups I know personally, but I'm not giving it away for free in this circumstance.  Especially to someone who states openly how important this knowledge is!  "...the single biggest expensive of my life"... this line just killed me.

Aug 16, 14 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Asking architects how to do their job so you can (maybe possibly kinda) do it for them? Hire someone, dude!
Aug 16, 14 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

Ok...I think she/he is just asking for an architectural term...not for a design. Why are you guys asking for a fee/having her/him hire someone? A word is all she or he is looking for.

Aug 17, 14 1:32 am  · 
 · 
Mikey_G

I have no intention of drawing up tgis project I will 100% be going to an architect, however I am no where near that stage I am jist doing research as the previous poster eluded to "I just want to know the term" so I can learn more... That is all... Its not my proffesion I just thought there was a technical term & that you guys might know.. Once again Thanks for taking the time out to comment..

Aug 17, 14 9:30 am  · 
 · 

Bring pictures of what you like to your designer.  They will be able to make it work for your project whether there is a term for it or not.

Aug 17, 14 10:20 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Miles & Donna, There are 3 kinds of service that should be “Free”. 1) Answering a question from a lay person or other professional. 2) Inspiring someone to grow a project idea or dream, called “Candle Lighting” and 3) Pro Bono.

This free thing got threaded somewhat in “Should Archinect pay us….” and I am considering a thread on “Candle Lighting”. This idea of “Me-Speak, You-Pay” can get a little exaggerated. Unlike any other profession we architects live within a world of ideas and dreams and we need to water peoples ideas and dreams even if they don’t invite us to participate.

I’m not suggesting or advocating engaging in services but service, there is a difference. Answering this guys question with “Dude you need to hire somebody” is wide of the mark. Use the question(s) as opportunities to nudge lay persons toward the profession by answering with other questions and considerations he/she should be thinking about, pointing out complexities and opportunities they are missing. Use the water from our pure spring to nourish his/her dream don’t piss on it.

Aug 17, 14 10:42 am  · 
 · 

Carrera I don't disagree with you but I want to point out this is one of dozens of posts like this - asking for free advice -  that have happened over the years here on Archinect. 

Depending on my mood I answer with what I'm willing to give.

If you read the article I linked to it goes far beyond the internet too - I've had many people ask me to come for a consultation on their house in which they are clearly fishing for free advice and have no intention of hiring me.  This costs me, and everyone including the contractors I work with, time and money. 

Aug 17, 14 11:18 am  · 
 · 

The answer to the question was hire an architect, offered at no charge.

Aug 17, 14 11:30 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Miles & Donna, We all could fill this site with stories of “getting-burned” and pure ass-holes we’ve encountered along the way, just imagine the shit I’ve heard and encountered in 40 years! But, what I am suggesting, here, today, is taking a higher road with this thought-to-be-problem.

Just the fact that someone peeks a nose into our tent shouldn’t be met with us jumping up from the campfire and telling them to buy-a-ticket. That leads to their retreat and joining the cowboys. I hate to bring this up again but 40% of all work today is going Design-Build. People are preferring to go to a contractor first to get help with dealing with architects. One lady on Reddit recently posted “How to talk to an architect?”. That is the problem we have created.

I read your link and offer the one below as an alternative. Getting involved or offering services must be compensated. I think it is just a matter of modifying our response and receptiveness to people that I am putting in play here. It’s not behavioral it’s situational. We’ve all gotten suckered into things but as soon as you smell the rat you don’t feed the rat you amuse it with all the food you have to offer.

Close with this by Thomas Jefferson - "He who receives ideas from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine receives light without darkening me."

Disclosure: This isn’t personal to you two. You two are probably the most giving on this site, I only address you as intellectuals seeking intellectual dialog.

http://swinburnearchitect.com/wordpress/?page_id=1184

Aug 17, 14 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: