Archinect
anchor

Interview in Cincy with A/E firm

Catcow

Last week I interviewed with a mid-sized A/E firm located near downtown Cincinnati, where I'm originally from. It's for an entry-level architect position. When I was speaking with the Sr. VP of the architecture division, I brought up my registration with NCARB to do IDP hours, as well as the fact that I'm an Associate AIA member. This is my second real interview for a job since I graduated with my M.Arch four years ago. Considering how things have been, and how I haven't given up, despite taking some temporary jobs in the meantime, I feel like this has been an accomplishment.

Anyway, the Sr. VP I met with didn't offer me the position, but was going to take in some more candidates, since he wasn't looking to fill the position right away (not until mid-September). I have sent a thank-you email and card to him just after the interview, and he recommended I contact him every couple weeks. Any other advice to boosting my candidacy?

Aug 14, 14 4:41 pm
Carrera

Tom, I’m a 40 year career owner (retired now), file this under “Desperate Times Desperate Measures”. I once was interviewing newer guys for a position and while interviewing this one guy there was a lull in the conversation and he sat up and said “I know I’m new and you seem uncertain but I know I can do this thing, how would it be if I came on for a month to prove my value for free, no strings attached?” I hired him on the spot and he stayed on for quite a while.

From my point of view people just getting started were a gamble to me, they often rang “Money Out – No Money Back” to me. It’s a lot more expensive than you can imagine bringing new people in and most thinking hell if he doesn’t work out I’ll just can the guy. But it’s more complicated than that, especially today.

I think the next time you call-in to this guy he’s going to tell you “Sorry”. You’re right to reach out for ideas; you need something to trigger this guy before it’s too late. If you were really going to get this thing he’d have hired you by now, he’s looking for better and if you give him the time he will.

I know I’m going to take flack for this idea but even if you had to take a night job to pay the rent its just a month and once you’re in you’ve cleared a big hill. Don’t do this over the phone; ask to see him because you have some new ideas on how you can help the firm….

Good luck!

Aug 14, 14 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ
Working for free in cincy is a bad idea because entry-level positions there do not pay well to begin with.

Instead of playing "guess the firm" to give you more insight...I would keep applying elsewhere. Firms in the area are hiring and will continue to for the foreseeable future. Keep working any contacts you make from the AIA. Get involved at UC DAAP. There are community redevelopment organizations in OTR that are great networking platforms. Cincinnati has a lot going for it. Good Luck.
Aug 15, 14 10:29 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Working for free is a bad idea. Full stop. It's bad for you, it's bad for the profession, it's bad for the economy, it's simply bad.

Aug 15, 14 3:40 pm  · 
 · 

Whenever did I imply that this was an unpaid position? Yes, I agree that such is bad for everyone, but the employer brought up benefits and compensation during the process.

And while, yes, I really want to get the role, and do need to keep other opportunities in mind, I need to respect the process. The worst thing I can do is try to cross lines (whatever they may be) and go from being a top candidate to being out of consideration. I have been reading some self-help books regarding job searches and making myself a better candidate to help, and I think they have helped me get to this point, and will aid in future stages, including career advancement, once I've finally gotten going in this or another role.

Again, thanks for the advice, especially Carrera and LITS4FormZ.

Aug 18, 14 9:58 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Since this is a mid-size A/E firm they most likely have HR staff who wouldn't allow anyone to work for free.  

My advice is to be patient, keep looking, and let them know asap if something happens which may improve your prospects ( passing an ARE, LEED AP, etc)

Aug 18, 14 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Tom - rework the portfolio - too much stuff on all the pages and it looks all the same - I don't see more complex thinking or differentiation in as I move across the work - the latest projects look developed to the same as your earliest work in undergrad

Why not try contacting one of your old profs and do a mock interview - go over the cover letter, cv etc.  You need to go into an interview and frame your work to fit in well with the practice so every portfolio should be imagined to the firm you really want to work in - better yet, approach some practices for advice.

No on should be unemployed - you are doing something wrong - don't waste your money on self-help books when you have so much untapped resources at the universities you paid great time + money to - they can and will help

Aug 18, 14 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

I read further into Carrera's comment - I do understand your proposition, but I definitely agree with others about the dangers of working for free- even if it is permitted by law and serves education benefit to me.

I've also spoken to a couple other firms - another in Cincinnati, and one small office in Chicago. Hopefully no matter how this first opportunity goes, it's a great learning experience for me. I also met with a therapist to help me out on interviewing— especially body language.

Aug 25, 14 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Tom, it was just an idea on how to rise-up-into-the–tent, it was most certainly not a commentary on unpaid internship…all I was trying to suggest was to give you an idea on how to pull this particular guys trigger….you wouldn’t be proposing to learn but to contribute and to give a sample of it. To hell with the law, it’s just giving a sample for a month….keep it in your quiver, it works.

Your decision to work with a “life-coach” shows you’re smart. I can’t believe all the frustration I read here and elsewhere….you are doing yourself a big favor and giving yourself an advantage with this. I used a “life-coach” through half of my career and still do in retirement, where else can you “spill-the beans” and find solace in your search for direction.

Good luck in your career, its about to start real soon.

Aug 25, 14 10:26 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks, Carrera! I'll surely keep this idea in mind as I continue to make my rounds. As much as my job search is about making the right connections and having good work samples, it's not everything. It's more about having the right attitude and knowledge of the firms that I apply to. There's tons of firms out there that do good, interesting work— but enthusiasm and expressing a willingness to learn and grow, and do the work — makes the difference. I'd argue having the IDP program and AIA membership are EXCELLENT ways to "how are you learning things" and answering that usual but vital question "where do you see yourself in five years?" 

Again, no news on this specific job. In the interim, am I still better off emailing every couple weeks, or should I call the Sr. VP to talk briefly?

Also, I got an email from one job opportunity in Chicago, saying that they have yet to fill the position, given that they need some time to evaluate things. What can I do to better get my foot in the door there, so that when time comes to bring somebody on, that I'd that somebody?

Second, another opportunity (in Chicago) I've gotten some traction on has kinda been slow getting through the next step: passing through my information to the "client leaders," which I assume are hiring managers– the HR person there I've been in contact with there says to be persistent but there isn't a whole lot I can do on on my end.

Sep 4, 14 7:56 pm  · 
 · 

And now, a crazy update to all of this: I was hired for an fall internship at a small firm in suburban Chicago, along the Metra commuter rail line, and it started last week:

Unfortunately, after two days, they decided to let me go, citing that I had a Masters degree (which they overlooked, and I NEVER omitted), and thus, feared that I would flee for another job that would pay more than they could afford to. Nonetheless, it's probably best that I'm no longer associated with that office, as I had to speak up to get an idea as to what the compensation would really be. I know that Carrera used the "work for free" strategy, but if they say they are going to compensate, and then offer me a job, then it is THEIR responsibility to bring that up with me and allow me to negotiate.

So, what do I do now?

Sep 28, 14 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Holy smokes! 2 days?? Did you forget to shower – because something doesn’t smell right. Nothing you can do but get back on the Metra and head back to town and don’t mention this to anybody and don’t mention to anybody that you even know these guys.

Something I think YOU failed to do is after they invited you in you should have written a “Memo of Understanding” just putting into words your understanding of the offer – before you showed up for your first day….and always include a minimum stay at least till you qualify for unemployment which is only fair given the time you will be off the market.

Just keep looking – and I recommend Lifebuoy Soap in Coral, hard to find but worth it (smiling).

Sep 28, 14 5:13 pm  · 
 · 

Hahaha!! Now that you think of it, I have been needing to take more showers after this. So you're saying that I should discard this from my work history?

They did say that the role would be compensated, but would not determine that til two weeks after work had begun. Upon letting me go, the manager offered to compensate me for the train tickets I had bought, as well as for the time worked. I sent an email to him the day after their decision was final, outlining these expenses/compensation.I have yet to get a reply, but hopefully will. I definitely agree that, upon any offer, this needs to be in writing, so if anyone tries to fudge things on a whim, I still have written evidence.

Lifebuoy soap: they had ads for that at Crosley Field, I believe, right? Back when it was called Redland Field...

Sep 28, 14 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
Wow Tom, that's crazy. At least you don't have to go out to LaGrange (if I'm remembering right)?

If that's the way they treat EPs, definitely don't put it on a resume or mention it in an interview...unless you want to shame the hell out of them because that should be done.
Sep 28, 14 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

2 days? - how sharp are you? when they tossed you the football - you didn't fumble on the 10 yard line did ya?

leave any short term and very short term stuff off your resume - may employers will assume you dropped the ball somehow.

Sep 28, 14 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Tom, defiantly leave it off…it was just an odorless fart.

No need to expound here but take a hard look at those 2 days and retrace your steps and see if you can learn something.

The term "B.O.", is thought to have been invented by Lifebuoy for an advertising campaign and they did advertise in ball fields, don’t know about Crosley.

Sep 29, 14 9:31 am  · 
 · 

Josh, this position was in LaGrange. But like I said, it was on the Metra line, so getting to/from there wasn't a hassle, and they were flexible about coming in/leaving according to the schedule and any other obligations I may have had advancing my career development (i.e. ARE courses).

Sep 29, 14 10:30 am  · 
 · 

Yesterday, I interviewed with a small office in Libertyville, IL, a suburb north of Chicago. This too is near a Metra line, but the walk from the station is longer in this case, about 20 minutes. It's not too much an issue, and is still very walkable, in a town-center area. In a few months, should I be hired, I plan on obtaining a vehicle and probably may move closer to Libertyville, but the current option of staying with a friend and taking CTA and Metra there is still a doable situation. After all, you can read articles and books so pertinent to your work on the train, right?

Also, benefits and salaried compensation were indeed brought up by the Principal, and if offered the position with them, I will request terms in writing ;P

Meanwhile, my reimbursement for the work and travel expenses from that La Grange office has yet to reach me... Not exactly happy about that.

Oct 15, 14 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

I did indeed get the job that I mentioned in the north suburbs - and terms were clearly spelled out.

Unfortunately, the job ended up lasting over 3 weeks. I was let go just before noon on Friday, and now I am wondering if I should keep pushing on with all the knowledge and some experience I've gained, or just go an alternate career route? Is the architecture profession really so cut-throat that firms and principals are just not in a position to take on aspiring people, especially those trying to get in after being knocked out from the recession?

Nov 24, 14 11:13 am  · 
 · 
x intern

Once seemed like an oddity, twice you may want to figure out what you are doing that's leading to you getting cut so quickly. Are you capable of producing drawings at even the red line level? Are you actually messing up drawings already done (I've seen this, someone who thinks they know what they are doing and spreading chaos like a gremlin and F up a project before you know whats happening)  I took a minute to look at your portfolio as well, you may want to spend some time working on this while you continue to look.  Take a look at some of the other portfolios on here. Your graphics are bad enough most people aren't going to look beyond them to see what else you have going on.  

Nov 24, 14 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

ouch. did this 2nd firm give you any feedback? what sort of tasks were you working on there?

It's not impossible you've just had a string of bad luck - but it's worth doing everything you can to avoid any more problems like this.

Have you kept in touch with classmates who can suggest firms to get started in? It's always better if you know someone who can introduce you to firms that would suit your capabilities. It also gives you some assurance they're not going to screw you as long as you can perform. Maybe someone who knows you well could suggest ways for you to improve your search.

As to whether to stay on search for architect jobs - it's up to you. There are plenty ways to be involved in the built environment and you might find a very satisfying career if you broaden your search.

Anyway, good luck.

Nov 24, 14 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Tom, sorry to hear that, agree with 2 previous posts...may be time to step back and widen your horizon into allied fields, good luck.

Nov 25, 14 8:37 am  · 
 · 
Tom, that really stinks. I'm sorry that you are having to go through this. Did they say anything when letting you go? Perhaps there is some constructive criticism in that.

It might be good to hop on the other side of things for a bit too, to get you experience on the construction side of things. It might help with the architecture job hunt, as I still feel the gap between graduation and now is hindering you (the recession's fault, not yours). What about getting into something that is more planning oriented? I know when we've spoken, that's what you seem to be most passionate about.
Nov 25, 14 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

Doing some thinking as to what happened - I'm wondering if I should list this position on my resume. I did a combination of architectural design (AutoCAD/SketchUp), site visits and reports for construction management, and consulting work for a showroom remodel. Or should I instead just emphasize those points as part of my skills? I know that 3 weeks is longer than two days, and I actually got paid for my work, but am I still showing those "red flags" if I DO list this experience?

Besides jobs in planning, I've also come across advice for getting into IT/coding, where the avenue to those jobs don't seem to be as treacherous...

Dec 9, 14 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Tom - Consider calling this period "Architectural Consulting" on your resume with no firm names and add bullet-points under with the experience you are garnering.

Dec 10, 14 9:26 am  · 
 · 
midlander

@OP - hate to be a downer, but you might also want to change your AKA here, in case a future employer does a google check on your resume. Your archinect profile is a first-page hit and a more inquisitive sleuth might find their way to this post.

Agree with Carrera. I'd say list no full-time positions held less than 6 months (or better 1 year) unless they were done as school internships or freelance contracts. It definitely will look unfavorable otherwise.

Dec 10, 14 9:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: